Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can guest account run Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvedafi

Programmer
May 17, 2003
US
I am running a training lab full of Windows XP SP2 machines. I would like to teach people how to view windows updates(never installing). However for security reasons all PCs are logged in a domain user that is set to Guest permissions locally. Is there any way to allow this Guest user to access windows update.

Thanks
Jason

Not easily, without lowering your security.

294676 - HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

"To start a program as an administrator" in the Help and Support program.

If you are an Administrator you may have to use your machine as a demonstration machine (can you attach some sort of projector to it?) and show them via that.

They can practice on their own computers at home, if they have one.

Run As" may work. I wrote a VBScript to run another program as Administrator, because that is the only way it would work.

I will play around with this today.

I cannot use a projector because this is a Self Paced-Hands On lab where clients are practicing different techniques using a workbook, and I am there to answer questions. In the past what I have been doing is logging them in as Administrator for the short amount of time that they do this lesson. But that is a hassle and I would rather get another solution. Hopefully it is run as. I will let you know.

Thanks
Jason

Thank You linney. "Run As" was the perfect solution. I was able to use my script to run wupdmgr.exe as an admistrator account.

It connects to Windows Update, shows all of the updates, looks like it is installing them, but when you go on to review updates is says they all fail because you do not have installation privilages. It could not have worked out better.

Thanks for the suggestion
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back