Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbielenda

MIS
Nov 15, 2001
US
After checking the "Can Grow" under the format editor, the field grows down instead of growing across. Is there a formula I can use to change this?

nopes...you can only expand vertically in Crystal Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

I have a barcode formula and I want the barcode to automatically size itself. I thought maybe the can grow feature would do it. Unfortunately, it only goes vertical. Any other suggestions? Thank you s-)

since you are allocating space to accomodate a horizontal growth of the barcode anyway....why don't you just oversize the field that it is being placed in horizontally...left justify it and the unused space to the right will appear blank anyway. Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

The thing is that this report is being printed from a software product we are developing. So, it is printing from an application, not directly in Crystal Reports. Within Crystal Reports itself, the barcode looks, prints, and scans fine.
When printed from the application, it prints these oversized barcodes that do not scan correctly. They do not even look like the ones in CR. I was thinking that the font may have something to do with it. We are using a third party tool in order to integrate CR with our product. It appears that when the field is oversized, it prints in the whole space.

so it fills the space .... no matter how much you give it??

I have never done anything with Barcodes...is it like a blob file?

Does it vary with the barcode? Ie. Are some of them looking ok while others are not?

If they are universally bad then by trial and error adjust the size horizontally til you get an acceptable result (leaving the can grow feature on so you don't have to work out the vertical)

The font may have something to do with it....what kind of frmat is this field? Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

1.) I used barcode fonts from Azelea and installed them.

2.) I created a formula:
BarcodeC128A("(402)"+{ORDP999B.BLADB}). This function comes from the "Additional Functions".

3.) The barcode fonts are universally bad and the same barcode "look" prints everytime! I suppose it is not looking at the formula I used above to get the correct barcode.

the same barcode is being printed...or the same format? Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

Have you looked at c2010228 in Crystal's Knowledge Base

It discusses problems with Barcode fonts

seems to be an issue... Jim
JimBroadbent@Hotmail.com

Will do, thanks Jim for your help! Much appreciated! s-)

We use barcode font 3of9 in our reports also run within an app but we use it like this and it works just fine.

'*'+{Table.fieldname}+'*'
and format the field font as 3of9.ttf.

It prints fine and is readable by our scanners without any issues.

We are using Code 128 font, I tried the formula that you suggested and it did not work. Do you have any other suggestions for Code 128?

Sorry about that, I forgot to tell you that we originally had to install uflbcode.exe. We got it from the Crystal Decision website. The file title is Bar Code UFL.
Good luck,

What I do have installed are fonts and DLL's from Azalea. I think this is about the same as that UFL from Crystal.

I'm not familiar with Azalea's dlls so I don't know if they are similar.

At the very least verify that you have the following Crystal dlls already installed: UFLBCODE.DLL and u2lbcode.dll (WINNT/Crystal directory).

The two DLL's provided by Azalea are:
1.) u2lbcode.dll
2.) barcode.dll

and I placed them in ...\WINNT\SYSTEM32.

Don't know if this info helps or not. Just more like an FYI.

Thank you for your responses! s-)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I couldn't logon to the server we're in a migration process at the moment. Yes, I think they are important, because prior to installing them I had similiar issues to what you were experiencing and once I installed them, it works like a charm. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back