Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can footnotes break across two columns in CS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestKaz

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
GB
In CS3 can I format the text in two columns, but put the footnotes at the bottom of the page in one column that extends across both columns of text?

No you cannot do this, it's the most infuriating thing about InDesign. To do this you would have to break the footnote from the text, insert a box and insert them manually.

Thanks for your answer. I am formatting a 1000+ page book in two columns with hundreds of footnotes. Do you have any recommendations?

Westkaz

You might be able to find a plug in. Sonar Bookends InFnote might do it - but I've never used it and this isn't a recommendation.

I've used Sonar Bookends, you'd be just as quick doing it yourself.

Thanks for the help! With no easy solutions I'd better just roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Westkaz

Just to note, an easy way to get all the footnotes out is to export it to RTF. Open it in Word, convert all the footnotes to endnotes and save and reimport. Styles should stay the same, if you map them and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back