Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Flash play a file from a physical drive location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XgrinderX

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
Hello!

I have no Flash experience whatsoever but I have a web client who wants to have some videos stored in a location that is not under the web root. We are wondering if a Flash player would be able to open and play a video file by pointing the player to a location such as:

d:\videos\userid

Is this possible? Or will Flash only play files embedded into the code or pointing via a relative or absolute URL?

-Greg

um, i think you could do it, by how you described your filename i expect you are using Microsoft Windows? I use the Mac OS X, but i think it might be the same. will the file be opened from an HTML or another client side document, or be opened on the server-side? if its server side, i think you might be able to get it from something like D:\\documents\\file.swf (there needs to be 2 backslashes (\) instead of one to escape them), and also try /<harddisk_name (probably like D or something)>/documents/file.swf (or the real file path with slashes (/) instead of backslashes and use /D/ instead of D:. if you are trying to open it from client-side, i don't think it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back