Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can EFS be implemented on a DFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

wezel

Technical User
Jun 2, 2004
JM
I have s DFS setup to which i have redirected user home folders and My Documents folders. I want to know if it is possible to have encryption on a sub folder of a users home folder.

Thanks in advance

I tried it but it doesnt work. All users have thier home folder as a mapped drive. From a user login, if i try to encrypt a sub folder of the home it get this message
"An error occured applying attributes to this file: Keyset does not exist"

What should i do?

. Click Start, click Run, and then type regedit to open the standard Registry Editor.
. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers\Type 001
. Click the Providers key, click Export Registry File on the Registry menu, and then type the location where you want to save this file. Save this file to a location where you can easily access it at a later time if necessary.
. Press DELETE, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to delete this registry key.
. Restart.

You are able to perform any of the tasks which were formerly not possible because of the Cryptography APIs issue. These tasks include (but are not limited to):

Encrypting files and folders
Scheduling Tasks
Installing IIS 5.0 without any errors
Installing Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back