Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can default containers in active directory be removed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

totmus

MIS
Oct 16, 2002
US
I'm starting a new design with AD. I'd like to remove the default containers or move them to new OUs of my choice. Can that be done without any problems? Default containers are Domain controllers, System, Builtin, Computers, etc.

Thank you in advance.

No, can't be moved. Aside from the Domain Controllers OU, gpo's can't be assigned to them either. That also includes those OU listed under View>Advanced.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Answers;

Can you remove these? Yes however MS have made it deliberatly not available through std tools
Should you delete these? NO don't touch them, they're there for a reason. MS gave you OU's to play with.

Cory

Thank you! Won't touch them:)
How about if I move the contents of them? Would that be OK? For example, move the domain controllers (the actual DC computers) to another OU(let's call it servers) and assign policies to the Servers OU. The same way, move the builtin container's contents to another OU? Take the groups under Users container & move them to another OU?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back