Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can CSS highlight multiple table cells at once? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2228

Programmer
Dec 13, 2010
US
Hi,

(note: I cannot have client-side scripting, like dhtml)

I am trying to build an html table that has 10 columns and N number of rows of data. When a mouse hovers over a cell in column 2 and row x, I would like the background of cell(2,x) to change AND the background of cell(5,x) to change to the same color. Basically, I would like css to change the background color of two cells in the same row when there is a mouse hover. However, I do not want to highlight the entire row on mouse hover... just 2 cells on that particular row.

I would be fine hard-coding each cell to tell it what to do and when and where.... the page is being dynamically built by a server-side scripting langauge, so I can script the css into each cell. What is most important is that the color changing behavior happens when the client moves his/her mouse over various cells in the table.

Please let me know if this can be done using just css. If yes, please provide some sample code (if possible).

Thank you in advance!

-Mike

Just give the cells you wish to highlight a class and have it be applied on hover of the row:

Code:
tr:hover td.highlightME{
background-color:red;

}

<tr><td class="highlightME">highlight cell</td><td>not highlighted</td><td class="highlightME">highlight cell</td></tr>

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Hi

Not really clear what the condition is, but let me try some interpretations :
[ul]
[li]If you want to color cell 2 and cell 5 of the row under mouse pointer
CSS:
tr[teal]:[/teal]hover td[teal]:[/teal]nth[teal]-[/teal]of[teal]-[/teal]type[teal]([/teal]2[teal]),[/teal]
tr[teal]:[/teal]hover td[teal]:[/teal]nth[teal]-[/teal]of[teal]-[/teal]type[teal]([/teal]5[teal])[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [COLOR=coral]background-color:[/color] [COLOR=darkgoldenrod]teal[/color];
[teal]}[/teal]
[/li]
[li]If you want to color cell 2 and cell 5 of the row under mouse pointer
CSS:
td[teal]:[/teal]hover[teal],[/teal]
tr[teal]:[/teal]hover td[teal]:[/teal]nth[teal]-[/teal]of[teal]-[/teal]type[teal]([/teal]5[teal])[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]
[/li]
[li]If you want to color cell 5 of the row under mouse pointer only when cell 2 is under the mouse pointer
CSS:
td[teal]:[/teal]nth[teal]-[/teal]of[teal]-[/teal]type[teal]([/teal]2[teal]):[/teal]hover[teal]+[/teal]td[teal]+[/teal]td[teal]+[/teal]td [teal]{[/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]
[/li]
[/ul]
There is a live example to try on .

Feherke.

Thanks Vacunita,

It is almost doing what I need. If I use your concept and make 3 different styles

tr:hover td.highlightME{ background-color:red; }
tr:hover td.highlightME2{ background-color:blue; }
tr:hover td.highlightME3{ background-color:yellow; }

And have:
<tr>
<td class="highlightME">team1</td>
<td class="highlightME2">team2</td>
<td class="highlightME3">team3</td>
<td class="highlightME">team1</td>
<td class="highlightME2">team2</td>
<td class="highlightME3">team3</td>
</tr>

It highlights all of the fields with their respective colors. Is it possible to have just team1 cells highlight only when the mouse is over team1, and then if the mouse moves over team2 it will only highlight the team2 cells ?

-Mike

That's a little more complex since we need to discriminate from the other cells, but also select them, when hovered appropriately.

You could use sibling selectors to specify the hovers:

Code:
td.highlightMe:hover, td.highlightMe:hover ~ td.highlightMe{
background-color:#002299;
color:#dedede;
}

td.highlightMe1:hover, td.highlightMe1:hover ~ td.highlightMe1{
background-color:#664411;	
	}

The first part before the comma, is simple enough highlight the cell with the class highlightMe1 when hovered over, the second part is the interesting bit. Highlight the cell with the class of highlightMe that follows the cell being hovered and also has a class of highlightMe.
The only issue here, is that the reverse is not true, that is hovering over the following elements will not highlight the previous ones.

Since you mention you can't use any client side scripting, I'm guessing jquery is not a possibility, though it would make this sort of thing much easier.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back