Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Crystal report 8.0 access IBM mainframe DB2 tables data

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeshgk

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2000
US
Would like to get some information about the Crystal Report writer 8.0 package and its abilities to read IBM mainframe DB2 tables data and generate MIS reports. Also would like to know if there are any facilities to automatically email the report to the recipients.

thanks in Advance

regards
rajesh gopinath ( rkumar@aglife.com )

Crystal can read anything as long as there is an ODBC driver for it, and I believe that there is one for DB2. I have never configured it but I seem to remember that it is a @@@ to configure.

Any way. Crystal can export to Email, but not automatically. You might be able to do Auto-Email with Seagate Info, but that is only up to V7, incompatible with V8.

[sig]<p>Ken Hamady- href= Reports Training by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

We have been reading DB2 data from an AS400 machine using Crystal Reports v6 (and also checked in v7 - have not tried it in v8 but assume will function OK). This caused a number of problems, due to an incompatible ODBC driver.

In the end we had to purchase new ODBC drivers from a company called HiT ( which are pretty easy to configure and are currently working well. [sig][/sig]

We read DB2 tables from our mainframe with no problems using the software DB2 for Windows 95/NT. I believe it is a part of the whole DB2 package. When you install it on the client, it will run through and automatically catalog your DB2 subsystems on the mainframe (you can also configure them yourself). At the same time, it will create the ODBC driver DSNs for all of the subsystems it catalogs. Very smooth and easy.

I would contact whomever at your company that is in charge of DB2 on the mainframe as far as the software goes. The program that you use to configure the subsystems is referred to as the Client Configuration Assistant, and you can find out a little more info about it on IBM's website.

Hope this helps!

Hi,
we are trying to connect to db2 from Crystal Reports, using crystal db2 odbc driver. For this Client appication enabler (CAE) requires to be installed from db2 CD.

Is there some specific settings that require to be made for
for the CAE install and from the crystal db2 odbc driver side too ?

if anyone has used the crystal db2 odbc driver to connect to db2, would appreciate if they could provide some guidance on this.

Thanks

satyajit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back