Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can create Adobe PDF's from MS Office 75%, but . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

browclops

MIS
Sep 29, 2002
US
Environment: Metaframe XP FR2, (2)-W2K servers, NT4 DOMAIN, central profile storage, full MS Office 2K as published apps (18 months), Adobe Acrobat and Distiller as published apps (3 months), Adobe Reader as published app (18 months). This is NOT (directly) a printing issue.

Problem: For those not familiar, installing the Adobe suite into an existing Office setup will drop two additional buttons on the Toolbar, as well as a separate line item called "Acrobat" next to "Help" in the Toolbar. The user can then hit a button and convert the open document into a PDF. And it works, most of the time. However, occassionally the buttons don't show up and there is no "Adobe" choice in the Toolbar when the user logs into Citrix. We've taken appropriate steps to eliminate the possibilities of: server selection, difference in published app settings, server installation difference, local server1 profile vs. local server2 vs. central storage profile, default printer.

What we know: The servers are identical. The Adobe installs are identical. The Office installs are identical. I'd mention the Service Pack of the servers and the Feature Release of the servers, but that all falls under "the servers are identical". We've tested with multiple users using identical profiles, same default printer(s), no default printer, ICA client, RDA vs. ICA.

We're out of ideas. God help us, we're out of ideas. If we need to install local apps to get around this then the one loud-mouthed-know-it-all-my-husband-has-a-friend-who-knows-all-about-computers-and-he-says-Citrix-sucks-user who has been naysaying Citrix for 18 months will feel validated and THAT CANNOT HAPPEN!!

Browclops, with brow furrowed

I do not know how to return the button. Maybe that for each user there are different profiles on different servers. Does the button appear or disappear when the user logs on to different servers ?
What you can tell the users to do when they do not have a button is to PRINT the document to the Acrobat PDFWriter printer that acrobat creates when installed. This is the way how our users work here. Not the most perfect solution, but it works.

You might use Regmon ( and see if you can track down what registry keys are being used to set up access to that button. My guess is that this is a registry problem of some kind...

I think it's a macro thing. in word, if you go tools >> macro. there should be one in there called "AddOurToolbar". run that macro and the acrobat buttons should appear. if not make sure "PDFMaker 5.0" is selected in view >> toolbars.

And the winner is . . . ARMRA with the macro thing! That's exactly what it was, the macro that makes the buttons appear wasn't running sometimes. We showed the user (who uses macros often, aha!, coincidence?) how to run it so the buttons appear. Thanks to all the great ideas and support.

Browclops, with brow unfurrowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back