Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can CR8.5 call on and attach a file to a report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalcandy

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2003
US
A user wants a MS Word document to be "attached" at the end of reports when they print. Is this possible?

Not possible with Crystal ALONE as far as I know. May be with another pgming language like VB, you can get that done.

Cheers
RCM

I have done this before as a TextObject inserted into the ReportFooter-B of the report with a "New Page Before".

This is not actually a MS-Word file attachment, it's a copy of the contents of a MS-Word file's contents, at the time it was copied.

Hope it helps....

Erm, I've done this loads of times in 8.5 for creating mailouts.

You need to insert the doc as an OLE object. Just browse for the file and that's it. Dead simple.

Even better - when inserting the doc as an OLE object, there is a 'link' checkbox. When ticked, this causes the file to be re-imported at runtime (using the path & filename of the original doc). So you can change the doc in Word or whatever, and the changes will propagate through to your report. Ruseful if you're doing it for a client:they don't have to send you the letter to embed as you can create a dummy one in c:\ or wherever, insert it, send the report off to the client and then let them know where they need to save their document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back