Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Corel Draw Suite 12 replace PageMaker 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC04

Technical User
Dec 1, 2003
US
I have been having such problems using Pagemaker 7 and then converting the file to a PDF that I am thiking of changing to Corel Draw Suite 12. I have been told it is much easier to use and it's conversion to PDF is very easy?

Draw, although easy to use is not designed for 'multi page' documents, it has many features allowing this but you may find it gets bogged down with very large documents. If making a pdf is your main reason for changing try full Acrobat or the very affordable Jaws programme, both will allow printing to a driver which will make a pdf, I prefer this method even from Draw

Hello Brushman
Thanks for responding, I only have a copy of Pagemaker maybe that is the problem, I have taken all the updates from adobe 7.01 and 7.01a, then a full version adobe acrobat 5.0 still no luck. Is there a better program for making magazines 16 to 50 pages than pagemaker or is that the best....
Denis

I can't say Pagemaker is best or otherwise as I don't use it, but it is a dtp programme as opposed to an illustration programme with some dtp functions. Indesign/Quark, all have very good reputations and that comes at a price. If Pagemaker 7 is a fairly new version I would stick with it and then sort out why Acrobat is not working for you, try printing to a postscript printer set on file and then distill that if printing directly to Distiller is too slow or not producing the results. Draw is very good for the smaller booklets but 50 pages may push it a bit. A good, cheap dtp programme is Serif Pageplus if you fancy a change.
Alan

I don't understand how making pdf from pagemaker so difficult when adobe designed it to do that job. in my opinion you should make a .ps file first using pagemaker then distill it using acrobat. it will be fairly easy and efficient. even for a large document. you can adjust the setting of acrobat according to the job required. i.e. for desktop printing, pre-press, or for screen viewing.

IC04 - exactly what are the problems you are having making PDFs from Pagemaker? Perhaps if you descibe them, we can help you out. I really don't think it is a good idea even considering a drawing program to layout such a large publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back