Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can corel draw import solidworks files? .sldprt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriskringle

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
US
I am having some custom pullies made. The machinist has Mechanical Desktop/ or corel draw. i have solidworks files from my designer. He is unable to output a corel compatible file. The machinist can't open the .SLDPRT files. Does anyone know how to import these? or what I can do to convert them to a corel compatible file?

search gave me nothing.

Thanks,
kris

I am not familiar with Solidworks but is not possible your designer to produce a Postscript file (PS) pdf/eps/ai - dxf these are the most common types that Draw can import besides the cdr. I mention these as they are vector based but of course Draw can take in bitmap formats but these may not be as usable for you.
Alan D

I am not familiar with Solidworks either - but there used to be a trick in older versions of Corel for importing unkown vector formats by using the standard *.HPGL plotter format, and then creating a "type" based on settings from there. I would talk to whomever you are working with and see if there isnt a common "thrid party" format that can be imported/exported from both formats (autocad, hpgl, etc). Some info may get lost in the retranslation, but it is easier to modify then it is to create from scratch.

solid works can export bitmaps (3d file render) and dxf format file. (Not 3d)
Which one do you need ? It depends what do you have to do with solidworks file. If you need picture for catalogue or internet you need the fisrt, so jpg, tiff, other bitmap formats. If you need to modify with corel draw the drawing you need dxf or dwg format.
Also hpgl could be good options if you need to modify the file by coreldraw (not 3d)

oasiX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back