Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can connect with vpn, cannot see server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcostanz

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
I can connect to the vpn. The user is setup on the server to run a script, but doesn't, the user has all authorizations. I cannot see or search for any of the computers on the network I vpn. I don't know why.

Please help

This seems very common. I assume you can ping the computers. A couple of things to try. Make sure WINS is enabled. I also make sure the server and clients have the same workgroup name. I make sure the server and clients are running with NetBeui. And I stop the Computer Browser Service on the server, so it won't override scans from the clients.

I cna ping the computers on the lan from the computer using vpn. I even can get to the linksys router on the server. I have never had wins enabled.
I have DHCP controlling wins on the workstations. I don't know how to setup on the server.

Make sure that the WINS add-in is installed . Then give WINS the IP of the server.

It may also be helpful to do the following on the remote
workstation to enable browsing and authentication to the
NT domain:

Control Panel, Network
Identity tab - change workgroup name to domain name

Control Panel, Network
Client for Microsoft Networks, Properties
ENABLE "Log onto WindowsNT Domain"
SPECIFY the NT Domain Name

Restart the workstation.
The next time you establish your VPN connection you
should now be prompted to log onto the NT domain.
You can now browse the domain.

use the server ip to connect. (example. \\190.168.0.1\c )

I have tryed to use the server ip address to connect but it doesn't work.
I cannot use "\\" in the domain.
how does one stop the Computer Browser service?

Don't use the backslashes, just the plain IP of the server. You will find the Computer Browser under Services in the Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back