Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can connect via ip but not comp name

Status
Not open for further replies.

apex1x

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
US
I have a win xp network with a simple broadband router, and am unable to connect to other computers via netbios/computer names. I can connect to their ip addresses correctly. Is there any particular reason this happens? In a similar situation, on other networks, I've needed to first connect via ip address before I could connect via computer name.

On a side note, I've noticed I cannot connect via IP when using a pocket pc (WM 2003), but only through computer names. Is this normal? The connection seems flakey at times too with the wireless PPC.

A few issues perhaps in here, any ideas?

that's normal. You're using tcp\ip settings across the board not netbois

Tom

load netbois drivers or use static ip's and add the computer name ip to the host file on each computer. I allways load netbois on small networks, if there is only a couple computer.

So whats causing the delay/issues? Is there a tcp/ip setting to decrease the time in sending out its host information, etc?

I have never noted delays useing host files, but if you are accessing a hard drive on the network XP will scan for task info on the HD causeing delays. There are reg hacks to cut down on these delays.

Try adding the router IP address as the DNS entry on the NIC's...might help...Worth a try

Regards

Dave

Is there anything unusual about this setup? If you connect XP machines to a router that is acting as DHCP server, and set them all to pick up IP address automatically, by default they will all be able to access the others by names (look under the WINS tab in IP bit of network properties - it says if you're using static IP addresses or DHCP server does not provide Netbios setting, then you need to set it to enable netbios over TCP/IP - so this might apply in your situation). Machines should be in same workgroup - but not essential.

So how should I set up the Pocket PC? Does it have a computer name? The setup I'm running is: Sygate on machine w/ static IP and acts as a DHCP server. The other clients connect physically through a router but the router is not set to provide DHCP or internet (basically a switch). I found the PPC didn't like DHCP so I had to set it to static.

I've noticed on other setups though on DHCP that I often couldn't connect to the other workstation's comp names until after I connected via IP.

From my previous post:-

look under the WINS tab in IP bit of network properties - it says if you're using static IP addresses or DHCP server does not provide Netbios setting, then you need to set it to enable netbios over TCP/IP - so this might apply in your situation

This is for XP on normal PC - I'm not familiar with networking on a pocket PC, but presumably if you've set a static IP address, it must have TCP/IP settings. Do they include the netbios settings I mentioned - whether under a WINS tab or elsewhere. If so, try the setting I mentioned - enable netbios over tcp/ip.

btw - I've never had any serious problems using DHCP - much easier than statics in most cases. I never use any MS wizards to 'set up' networks, as I find they're more likely to set them down!, just leave default automatically pick up IP address. Always just works - most problems I've seen is other people who've overcomplicated the process.

allteltec is actually correct. If your computers can access the internet (all of them), you don't want to use netbios (a security issue). You should use host files instead, with the IP and host name involved. Especially if you are using static IP's. DHCP is only providing IP's dynamically, and doesn't really care about the name of the PC/PPC, which a DNS would.

Ok. Where is the hosts file located on WinXP? Should I add a reference to just itself or all the comps on the nextwork (including the ppc)?

I would add all PC's/network devices that have an IP. As for the location, it will be located:

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

You'll need to edit the "hosts" file with either notepad, or a text editor of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back