Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can connect on vpn, but can't see each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

flugelmeister

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
We are trying to set up a small business vpn at my work.
I am using windows XP pro. with a cable modem. The server at our office is windows XP home and it is connected through a Direcway, business 2 way satelite with a fixed IP address on a USB connection. We set up our vpn connections on each computer with the windows XP set up wizard. I can connect and log on to the office server fine, but that is all. It says that I'm connected but I can't find anything as far as a network or anything else. I am using Zone alarm and set it to allow the servers IP address. The server is only using the XP firewall. We're also NOT using a router. I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

I am fighting my way through setting up a VPN also. I am attempting to connect to my home network from work, as an experiment. As you can see from the question I posted the same day as your question, I am to the next problem. Anyway, I think that the thing that finally enabled me to see the VPN server was doing a computer search for \\server_name\share_name. Once the server and share showed up I could map to it.

I'm having simialr problems myself, anyone have an answer to this, please?

If you can find it by ip address you are in luck. Create a host file. It should be located under the winnt\system32\drivers\etc open it with note pad and enter the following at the bottom of the file. machine you want to see then the name it would look like 192.168.1.1 remotemachine the ip and the name of the machine should be seperated by a tab. if you cant find each other by IP you are probably going to be out of luck. Two way satalight has to much of a delay over VPN and packets are lost along the way.

We gave up on the satelite and sent it back. It didn't work very good for internet either. We now have DSL with the phone co. and would still like to do the VPN. Do I still try the host file or something different?

YOu will still need a host file. There are other ways to do it, one is if you are running a microsoft os and you have wins configured just put in your internal wins server this will work fine. It has just always been easier to create the host file. Just because the way microsoft resolves computer names. Most people get around this by using terminal server or Citrix to run VPN applications. You can run these programs and have them map back local drives of your machine.

WE HAVE VPN. I got it up and running it was fairly easy with the dsl. Now I have another problem I installed a belkin router at the office between the server & two terminals. The network & internet sharing work fine, but now I can't get the vpn through the router firewall. It gives me the place to enter the settings under virtual server, but I don't know what ports to open or if they are tcp or udp ports. verizon or belkin won't help they say to contact microsoft since were using win XP.

WE HAVE VPN with XP. We got rid of the router and installed a second network card with a hub and it works. We just had to enter the correct IP address to map the server and it was there. I wish that more than one person at a time, could access the server over the vpn. Maybe a different software instead of the built in Xp one. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back