Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Clipper play MP3's? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellysClipper

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2001
US
I would like to know if anyone out there knows if there is a way that Clipper can play an MP3 music file?

Thanks for your help.

Kelly'sClipper

In case you were tempted to dismiss this question out of hand let me tell you that it's a little known fact that both Microsoft's Windows Media Player and Winamp are written entirely in Clipper Summer '87! Yes, with a little effort you too can write your own dynamic media applications which will allow you to play MP3s, Quicktime movies and the like. I believe the key to all this fun and excitement is to use the Fread() function. Or something like that.

kmccabe,

If that's the case, how did they turn an old 16 bit DOS program into a 32 bit Windows program with Clipper S 87?

Kelly

Not sure. My best guess is that they used the __TurnOld16BitDosProgramInto32BitWindowsProgram() function.
You do have that in your collection of 3rd party functions don't you?

kmccabe,

No, I don't have that function, and for your information, I inquired in the Winamp news group and was informed that Winamp is and has always been written in C.

I also use the fread() function in my program to open .mp3 files to determin their playing length, title, artist, album, genre, and sometimes they even have lyrics in them, but just because you can read a binary file doesn't mean you can make it play.

So, my question still stands... Is there any way to play an mp3 file from Clipper?

Kelly

They told you that Media Player and Winamp are written in C and *NOT* Clipper Summer '87?!? Really?!? Have you ever considered that someone may be pulling your leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back