Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can clients change their password when accessing a share on the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
I have a share setup on my server. Clients need to enter a password when they try to open the share (they don't need to enter it if the user name and password on their desktop is the same as their account on the server). I want to set it up so that they have to change their password on the server every so often. If I set the user's "Must change password at next logon" option, then the user gets a message stating the his password must be changed when he tries to access the share on the server, and is denied access. Is there anyway that they can change their password on the server over the network (the best would be if they were forced to change it per the local security settings on the server when trying to access the share) or does this have to done on the server. There is no domain, and I don't want to set one up.

Thanks.

Windows 2000 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back