Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can Cisco 800 series supply be replaced from a normal pc supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yian

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CY
6 contacts of Cisco 800 series power supply

-12V +12V +5V
o o o

o o o
RTN ROF RTN

The above diaqram shows the contacts of power supply connector of a Cisco 800 series Router.I want if anyone knows if I can use a normal pc power supply to supply the router, and what is the meaning of ROF & RTN (is RTN=Return=ground of supply ????)
Thank you.

You could build your own; but it's a heck of a lot less of a fire hazard if you buy the right one...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

They take a special connector. and pursuant to the previous comment, the official powersupply that came with my 827 was recalled by Cisco (fire hazard) and they sent me a new one.

Free IT practice exams:

Thank you very much for your responce.I tried the experiment to supply the router using a normal pc power supply and router works fine.I understand the risk of a fire hazard but this router is only for testing & learning purposes.

Hi Yian,
Did you find what RTN and ROF are? I am trying to replace PIX 506 supply with PC supply. I think RTN should be ground, but have no idea where to connect ROF.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back