Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can BackupExec backup an Exchange Store remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stueynoswad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2009
GB
Hi Guys n Gals,

I've just inherited a network that is held together with bits of wet cotton thread and a large dose of luck.

I'm not really a big fan of BackupExec but as it is all I have to start with I have to try to make things work until I can employ something more useful, but as there has not been a successful backup of data here for many months I need to make it snappy!

Currently the software is installed on the Exchange server, which is also a DC, a file server and running several apps (I know I know, I only started on Monday so I have a lot of changes to make!)

Currently BackupExec crashes every time I ask it to read the Exchange store. now while I am quite aware that this may be an issue with the exchange DB I am addressing that separately.

My first intention is to get the BackupExec product OFF the DC and onto another server to spread the load somewhat - What I need to know is can I backup an Exchange store remotely from the new server? Or will it only detect the store if it's local to the installation?

It's v10d on Win2003r

Any ideas/input greatly appreciated

Cheers

Stu

That won't be a problem, we have a server only running backup exec and it can backup remote servers (including exchange) no problem. You will have to purchase backup exec remote agent licenses for every remote server you wish to backup.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Thanks NortonES - we do have the licenses for the remote agents, I have them sat next to me on the desk - what I lack at this stage is the software! :)

It's in a bit of a mess this place having been neglected terribly by my predecessor, can't decide whether its a dream job or a nightmare as its a bit of a blank canvas - however it's such a state I'm not sure where to start!! lol

There hasn't been a successful backup since December so I guess that's as good a place to start as any....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back