Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Attachmate extract from Zipped files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMFRGH

Programmer
Oct 29, 2009
US
Is there a way in Attachmate to search for and extract the contents of zipped or condensed files?

crtnlymghtbtcnudecodit?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

This is an honest question. Gibberish is not helpful.

Did you open the link?

Skip,
[sub]

Sorry, didn't recognize it as a link. Now that I see it, how do I incorporate VB code into Attachmate? I downloaded the file "1854_cgziplib.zip

Attachmate code is VB code. It is a limited subset/extension of VB with Attachmate objects.

You'll have to figure out how to make it all work together. As the link stated, its NOT very easy. Be prepared to expend some blood, sweat and tears.

Post back with specific issues and questions if need be.

If it were me, I'd code this in Excel VBA, which is a whole lot more robust. Are you using the Screen Emulator as part of this project?

Skip,
[sub]

I am using the Screen Emulator as I need to move files to a mainframe. I am not acquainted with Excel VBA. I am guessing from the code that you referenced "Dim oUnZip as CGUnZipFiles", I need to write a Declare statement. Having never seen one, nor understanding the "help" example, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Would you be willing to outline what I need?

As a programmer, you ought to have the tools to start figuring this out.

What kind of coding have you done?

Every language has some sort of way to define variables/memory for coding.

Skip,
[sub]

In the last 24 years it has all been BasicVM and Mumps. Just set variable names and go. The Dim statement in Attachmate Enterprise Basic is the closest. Mumps uses a call to outside programs, but they don't have to be declared, just present to run.

I have heard of declarations to outside programs, and understand conceptually, but never had to write one that I recall. I don't know how it's done in Windows, or what it needs to contain.

I also do better "figuring out" when I have some kind of starting point. I'm not good at starting from nothing and getting somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back