Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone tell me were to find information on how to design searchs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel106

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
US
Can anyone tell me how i can find information on how to design a website search tool so that my users can search my website for keywords?

If you want to run your own script to do this, check out the following:

I've used this in the past and it is a really decent search script.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Wullie do u know of any other sites that have maybe some code to look at. I i know need to create an array of information to search from. That site was good however i want to build my own search routine....do u know of anyone with examples?

Assuming the data is currently stored in a database, then all you need to do is write some queries to search certain fields based on the information entered.

If you are looking to build a spider so that you can just specify a page and the data is extracted from it, then you are getting into more complicated stuff and I can't personally recommend anything other than looking to see how other scripts do it. You will find a huge amount of search scripts through a Google search.

Hope this helps

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion/Windows Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Check out The search result screen is very clean, and they provide weekly reports of top search words, frequencies, etc. There is a free version and a paid version that runs anywhere from $5/month on up, depending on how many pages you have. Several other cool features like sub-site search, etc.

It's unbelievably easy to set up. I just implemented the free version on one of my sites, and like it so much I'm going to pay the $5/month.

The free version embeds ads in the search results, but they are not gaudy or ugly. You can supposedly make the search results screen look just like the rest of your site, but I haven't had time to try that yet.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

I need a new wheel for my car, do you fancy inventing it?

There are so many ready-made solutions out there for site searching that it doesn't make a lot of sense to write your own from scratch.

Still, if you're determined to do it, here's some examples to get you started...

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back