Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone suggest a server for small business

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutenjuni

Programmer
Mar 20, 2008
Hello.

I don't really have no idea about servers. My company wants to update the hardware with the server components.

If my question is not good for this forum, I wouldn't mind delete my thread. but please, let me know.

First, in our company, about 40 people using computer to input or output the data using MS SQL server. And the PC using as server is P4. As the company is growing, more people need computers and the system is getting slower. Our company also wants to run FTP and email server as well.

I hope it could be enough to explain our situation. I will appreciate for any suggestion.

If you were interested in saving money, you could...

Convert your database to MySQL (if possible), set up a Linux server (any dual core/dual processor should suffice), 2 TB of disk RAID-5, and 8 GB of RAM. From there, you could run your database, Zimbra for e-mail, and FTP is already included. To expand, you could use it also as a firewall, NTP server, fileserver (Samba), authentication server, web server, and much more (at no cost). You would probably need at least 3 servers to do all that under Windows, plus the price for licensing MS SQL, Exchange, and the OS itself.

If converting the database is not an option, look at VMware to run on a Windows guest with SQL Server. It's free also.

If it were me, I would definitely consider two servers, use the second as a redundant backup for the database and even parts of the filesystem.

Good luck,
Mark

Thank you guys, Mark and Burt.

And also sorry for the late appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back