Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone recommend a PHP editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHUK

Programmer
Nov 30, 2002
GB
Hi,
I am fairly new to PHP. So far I have been writing my PHP programs in a text editor such as Notepad. Although this does not highlight any syntax errors, and sometimes it is useful to have PHP code highlighted in a different colour to HTML code etc, which Notepad cannot do. I am using an Apache server and therefore dont think MS FrontPage would work with PHP. I have heard of Zend. Does anyone have experience of this, or of any other editors for PHP that they can recommend? Please can you tell me the websites to download the editors and whether they are free or how much they cost?

Thank you for any help,
MHUK

Sorry I forgot to mention I am on Windows 98. I am using an Apache Server and a MySQL database. If anyone can recommend an editor, please can you also mention the 'version' numbers (if any) as sometimes there are quite a few to choose from on the websites.

Thank you for any info,
MHUK

Dreamweaver has some php support as well. No clue how much it costs. I know it works 'live' if you have apache and mysql installed locally, too. --
Andy

I use dreamweaver MX, but if you go to a site like Zend, they have links to serveral very good editors that will work on most platforms. I suggest you try them out, they are GPL so won't cost you anything to use.
because they are built specifialy for PHP they will be you best choices Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

U can go for a nice editor called PHPEdit (latest ver0.6)
u can download it from

spookie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never set a goal because u never know whats going to happen tommorow.

I recommend emacs with a major mode that supports PHP... simple, very powerful, and you get the pretty colors.

If you need links and a .emacs file to configure the major mode let me know.

-Rob

look for context...a well desinged editor that supports way more then just php, like java, vb, python, etc Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

zend.com offers a free personal version of their editor in the download section (for non-commercial use).

I like to use PHPEd 2.96.1.2 which is free if you can find old copies of it on the net. Newer versions are commercial (I think NuSphere purchased it).

PHPEd and the Zend Development Environment offer FTP access so you can edit your files directly on your public server.

Many thanks to all who responded to the request for a PHP editor.

Special thanks for mentioning EasyPHP. Although my French is not at UN level, it was reasonably straightforward to interpret their instructions.

The only tiny difficulty was working out that the is treated as the home folder.

Otherwise - pretty good stuff.

textpad, textpad, textpad, textpad: Regards
David Byng
bd_logo.gif

davidbyng@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back