Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone help We have a primar

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfunk123

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2001
GB
Can anyone help

We have a primary sms 2.0 server (sp3) at our London office - The client software is set up to install via net logon and remote - everything works fine in London. Set up a secondary server (sp3 aswell) in our new Coventry office

IP details -

London
172.19.8.0 - 255.255.254.0 Range (172.19.8.1 - 172.19.9.254)

Coventry
172.19.10.0 - 255.255.254.0 Range (172.19.10.1 - 172.19.11.254)

These two sites are connected by Cisco routers and are both part of the same domain.

The secondary site conatainer (FHC) appears in the administrators console in London complete with its own configurable settings for client discovery and installation. Initial discovery seems to have worked fine aswell (although for some reason the coventry machines only seem to appear in the 'All Systems' collection). However, even though all methods of client installation have been setup, it just will not install the client software. When I Double-Click on one of the discovered Coventry machines the Agent Site field says LHW - but this is our London Site (it should be FHC) ??.

I have double checked all of the boundaries on both sites and they are as follows

London -

Coventry

I understand that the subnet mask is taken from the client machine to detemine which site to use, If that is the case then I dont see how on earth it could have found the primary server in London -- The Coventry site has its own BDC and DHCP server. By the way - the network is 100% NT4 sp5

Somebody mentioned permissions to me - All permissions in the MMC are fine - but where would i start if it was client access permissions

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated - and if any further details are required please tell me what you need.

thanks

:)
Hi
I do know that NT sp5 in not compatable with SMS2.0 and can produce some odd results. There is a hot fix from MS but I would install sp6 as a starting point.

I believe the reason you are seeing the clients under your primary site is that even though they have been discovered they haven't been assigned to any site yet. Even though you have the subnet set in the site boundaries tab, you also need to have the subnet set & ENABLED under the subnets tab of discovery methods for you secondary site. The site will see & automatically add the subnets it sees but it will NOT enable them, you must do it manually.

I hope this helps.

And lastly I've got 700 out of 800 client nodes running NT4 sp5 & haven't had but a few individual machines give me problems with sms2.0sp3, so personally I don't think sp6 is the answer.

Thanks

I have made those changes and enabled the subnets but
The Coventry workstations are still coming up as

Site Code = blank
assigned = No
Client = No

Every form of client discovery and client install is now enabled in an attempt to get this working - but as yet nothing.

How do I phsically assign a site to a workstation or collection ????

Any further ideas would be great

Hi,
First off, SMS is kinda slow when it comes to picking up changes you've made to it's config, I think most of the client config changes cycle every 23hrs or something like that, so if you made the changes yesterday you probably haven't seen the effects yet.

Also, if you can completely remove the SMS client software from one of your secondary site machines (use - 20clicln.bat /scrub) and then reboot to let sms hit it with it's latest settings & see if that shows any of the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back