Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can anyone help me with my remote desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxkid913

Technical User
Jan 14, 2005
US
Ok, I have read about 10000 articles about remote desktop and have tried numerously to get my remote desktop up and running. I am behind a D-link 614+ wireless router and followed the port forwarding instructions here:

Now, whenever I go on my other computer and try my WAN ip or have a friend try, it does not connect. Can anyone help?

First, is there any way that you can verify it it works from another machine inside your network. That will go a long way toward narrowing down where the problem is.

i've tried from the other computer on our wireless network, and it says not accepting connections or wutever the error message is

please contact me on AIM at : wtfmate913 if you have any ideas, anyone

So the problem lies within your network and [at this point] has nothing to do with you router. There is one thing that I should have asked in my earlier question though - when you try connecting from another machine inside the network, hopefully you're using the RD host's internal IP address (192.168.x.x), right?

If the answer to that question is 'yes', then next look for a firewall on the RD host computer. This could be the Window XP firewall, something installed with your virus scanner, or a stand-alone product like zone alarm. In order for RD to work, the firewall must allow traffic on port 3389.

Yes, I did use the internal IP for the host computer, 192.168.0.100, I am running windows xp pro and i haven't gotten any updates i just got it up and running so i dont think there's a firewall. I also just installed norton antivirus 2004 but autoprotect isn't running. However on the other computer it does have norton internet security and when i first tried to connect a window popped up but i said to allow it. This shouldn't be a problem though because that's not the host computer

. On the Host, you should be at Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 for XP Prossional; XP Home cannot be a remote desktop Host.

. Remote Desktop must be enabled In System Properties. The remote user must have be made on the host a local username with password. These users must be identified in the Remote Desktop Host applet in System Properties as eligible for remote connection.

. TCP Port 3389 must be forwarded to the the local IP of the host computer.

. If either Host or Client machine is using NVIDIA display adapters, upgrade your video drivers or disable the NVIDIA services using Start, Run, services.msc

how do I disable them? i dont have nvidia graphics on the host computer but would that make it not work completely also?

please contact me on AIM if you have it: wtfmate913

thanks for the help i got it working, i think it was just that i needed some updates on the host comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back