Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Anybody Help Me With Internet Problems??!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzmo

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
AU
My computer has iprimus for an ISP (Internet Service Provider), and when i try to connect, it says that the line is in use (Busy). Nothing else is the problem, the phone line, modem are all fine...PLEASE HELP~!!!

Pick up your phone and dial your dial-up number. If you get a busy signal then you perhaps need a new isp.
If you get modem noise, then it is something else so report back here. Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

Try going to MY COMPUTER= DIAL UP NETWORKING= .Check the status (right clicking icon) of each connection icon. Is the icon you are using the one needed for your ISP? If so right click PROPERTIES and then tab "SERVER TYPES" and make sure the boxes "connect to internet net" "allow software compression" & TCP/IP are checked. I suspect one of your connections is in use and it is NOT the one you need to connect to your ISP. You will have to find that one to use and I would suggest deleting any other connection you might possibly have in your DIAL UP NETWORKING . If you have more than one, that is !

Pull the telephone line out of the computer and put it in the phone and make sure you hear a dial tone. Then from that phone dial your access number and see if you hear the isp's modem picking up (it would be like a squeel). I would need to know what operating system you have to help you troubleshoot the modem's properties. How do you know the modem is fine? Did you put it in another computer and have it dial?
Keep us posted,
Cindy
[ponder]

The modem does make noises...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back