Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Any one tell me what is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

italy

Programmer
Feb 13, 2001
US
31/Aug/2001:16:20:57] failure ( 531): Internal error: exception thrown from the servlet service function (uri=/servlet/SSMain): java.lang.NullPointerException, Stack: java.lang.NullPointerException
at SSAbstractServlet.getSession(SSAbstractServlet.java:136)
at SSMain.doGet(SSMain.java:44)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:701)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:826)
at com.netscape.server.http.servlet.NSServletRunner.Service(NSServletRunner.java:497)
this is Iplanet server 4.1 and this is a servlet I am trying to run ?? thank you in advance

Hi,
you probably, try to use a reference w/o a valid object.
If you can locate the line in your code where the exception is coming from, you can find the reference wich is probably null instead of handling a valid object.

best regards

I am sorry I am not the coder of this application and I cant see the servlet code when I open it in notepad apps it is just characters there do you know a way I can see the code more clearly .Thank you

Hi italy, I guess you have the servlet with you right even though your are not the coder?

Ok, take a look at the servlet SSMain.class. Look at the doGet() method. You should have at least 1 SSAbstractServlet object there and you called the method getSession() (provided your method is not static). Search through your servlet and you should roughly be able to find the line.

You got a nullpointerexception because your SSAbstractServlet object has a null reference. Meaning:-

String abc = null;
if (abc.equals("hi"))

this would generate a nullpointerexception too because the variable 'abc' has a null reference. So look over your codes and see which part did you not initialise your SSAbstractServlet object. Btw, since the name contains Abstract, I guess it should be an abstract class and if so, the class SSAbstractServlet might be the one giving you problems (in the sense that some objects have null references) and not SSMain??

Leon

Actually I think the problem is that he only has access to the .class file not the .java file. I guess the next question is who is writing this code and is it supposed to work? If so then I suggest you get in contact with the developer or team of developers that are responsible for this and they should be able to help you. Wushutwist

Hi
<<I guess the next question is who is writing this code and is it supposed to work? If so then I suggest you get in contact with the developer or team of developers that are responsible for this and they should be able to help you.
>> as Wushutwist said. I agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back