Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can an F50 run oracle 9.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesd

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to install oracle 9.2 on an F50 but I'm getting errors about running a 64 bit application on a 32 bit machine. Is the F50 a 32 bit machine. The output from bootinfo -y is 32 but does this mean that the hardware itself is 32 bit or is simply referring to the OS being 32 bit.

Thanks.

F50 is a 32 bit machine. It only runs 32 bit software.
64 bit machines run 64 and 32 bits programs.

hi,

if you are running 4.3.3 OS then you would have the fileset bos.64bit installed . THis gives you the ability to enable or disable 64 bit environment. The file /etc/methods/cfg64
if exists will allow you to do this , but if it doesn't exist you can't. Als o an entry in inittab file called load64bit , is part of the enabling the 64 bit environment.

However if you have the 64 bit environment enabled it does not mean you can run 64 bit code , bit you can compile 64 bit code. You must have 64 bit hardware to run 64 bit applications, in your canse bootinfo -y reports you have 32 bit hardware , so will not be ablle to run your 64 bit application.

Is oracle 9.2 available in 32 bit and 64 bit or only 64 bit?

HTH

I'm running the 5.1 OS which has the bos.64bit fileset loaded. As far as I know, Oracle 9.2 is 64 bit only, except on Solaris, so it looks like I can't run it.

Your F50 is 32bit Hardware.
Oracle 9.2 for AIX is only available in 64bit.
So you can not run Oracle 9.2 on your F50 box.

regards
Axel

OK.

Thank you all for your help.

Time to buy a P690. Wonder how much discount I'll get for trading in an F50 :)

Hello,

Do you have 64 bit application environment enabled.

You go into smitty system environment turn on the 64 bit application then try to install the oracle 6.2.

You do not need p690 to run oracle. There are other lower end systems that have 64 bit hardware and you will be able to run oracle 9.2

to or then search on sales manual for P series.

It will give you all the info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back