Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can active directory and terminal services be loaded on same server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Play2win70

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2006
US
Can active directory and terminal services be loaded on same server? Someone has told me that you can not run AD and terminal services on the same machine is this true?

It depends...

administrative mode terminal runs fine on a DC.

I dont think its a good idear to run a full terminal server on a DC, but it might be ok.

full terminal server can be quite stressfull on the system, which you dont want on a DC.

brgds Nicolai

you can run ts on a machine with ad on it, there two modes for ts thou which one are you looking to use just the admin mode which grants two log on account for administration purposes or application mode which were you would have to purchase lics and plan on granting access to users it wouldnt be wise to have Ad running on a machine were you are going to grant access to regular users to

The only time I'm aware of where you actually cannot is on SBS 2003. That doesn't allow TS in Application mode. Any other configuration WILL allow it, but you're better on a dedicated box. TS uses a fair amount of system resources.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back