Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Access Application stand alone? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowens71

Technical User
May 13, 2009
US
Once an application is developed using Access, is there a way to package it for distribution, so that it can be used on computers without Microsoft Access? Perhaps an .exe file?

Thank you

While I've never used it... MDE is one method; which effectively compiles an MS Access DB into a pseudo EXE.

You can also develop front-end code in C#, VB, ASP, Java, etc. with a MS Access DB and I do not think you need MS Access installed.

htwh,

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

You may distribute thr free Access RunTime package.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thank you Steve, Your suggestions are a good start. I will look into MDE. If anyone wants to expand on this or has any other suggestions, I look forward to your remarks.

Thanks,

Jonathan

PHV, I will also look into the free Access RunTime package. I was unaware of that. Thanks

smedvid said:
MDE is one method; which effectively compiles an MS Access DB into a pseudo EXE
This is mistaken. The MDE is a somewhat compiled MDB file that requires either the full installation of Access or a runtime installation.

I believe there are some third-party tools that claim to convert your Access mdb to a Visual Basic or other format that can be compiled into an EXE. I tried one of these a number of years ago and was very dissappointed. I should have simply created the application in VB from the start.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I'll back up Duane here - an MDE is not like a stand alone EXE. You still need Access to open it.

The RunTime is your best bet.

Access runtime is the way to distribute.

I'll also confirm dhookom's comments about MDE's.

It is important to note that the runtime does not provide a user interface for designing objects and is a relatively large install. It is basically a crippled version of Access and has most of the overhead of the application as opposed to tight compiled code from say VB or another language.

You can try out how your application will behave by using the runtime command line switch with the full version.

Also noteworthy to be cute Microsoft likes to change the product that contains the runtime with each version of Access. I listed the two that I think I remember and the associated version. In any case, you get the idea that what you are looking for may not be named what you'd expect.

Access Developer's Toolkit. 2.0
Visual Studio Tools for Microsoft Office. 2003

Thank you to all for responses! I am glad I asked as I was thinking that a stand alone application could be developed using access. That leads me to another question that maybe should be asked under a visual basic thread. Can a standalone database application be developed using just SQL and VB, or does a program like access need to be incorporated. For example, can all of the perameters for objects such as text boxes, graphics and forms (the end user interface) be defined in their entirety using stand alone VB? (and SQL) I am only familiar with VB in the context that it is used in the background of programs like Access. What can be done stand alone VB and is it a monumental task to set up a database application using VB and SQL by themselves?
These are loaded questions but I am only looking for theoretical/conceptual answers to point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Jonathan

While I don't have much experience with VB and it isn't with forms, I know it is possible.

Just like it is more involved to use Access than Excel (for simple things anyway) it is going to be easier to use Access than VB and SQL together.

If you use SQL Server you will probably use a third product for reporting... SQL Reporting Services (SRS). I have also a small amount of experience with it. It seems good although someone else set it up and helped me with my first report. It provides Browser acccess to reports, exports to PDF's, supports expanding and collapsing on reports like Excel sub totals. All and all a good product. Although from an Access perspective it is counterintuitive and I don't think you can simply place fields anywhere you want. You have to use table or grid objects to display data (I think).

So to answer your question, yes you can do it and it will be more time consuming. Whether it is monumental or not I guess has more to do with your previous experience and how quickly you pick up coding.

If you don't know Access, it may be best to simply invest your time in the other tools. On the other hand Access is best for Rapid Application Development and Deployment (At least among the tools mentioned).

You can write an application in VB that incorporates the database table objects, but I have never gone through that detail. Also Access can be used as a front end with SQL backend.

There are a number of options for creating stand-alone front ends (forms, reports, code, etc) such as Visual Basic and VB.net. You also have lots of choices for the back end (tables, views, etc) such as Access, SQL Server, and SQL Server Express.

There are forums here at Tek-Tips (and elsewhere) that go into more details.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

You can of course develop applications in VB that connect to any database, but if all you are familiar with is Access development it will likely be a rather steep learning curve.

You have to do a lot more "real programming" in VB. Although it is possible to create "bound" controls in VB, the mechanism is not very useable in any practical sense.
Therefore you need to write a lot more code to:
1. Connect to the database
2. Load data (including filling in the controls)
3. Detecting when controls are updated, and enforcing business rules
4. Updating data

Don't take this as criticism of VB on my part. Personally, I have always preferred the extra control you get in VB, but it does require a lot more raw coding, and you really have to know your stuff.

Even if you use bound grids, you will tend to want to handle the actual updates to the database yourself.

If you are new to VB, I would recommend going directly to .NET instead. There are several advantages:
1. Free development environment using Visual Studio Express (whereas if you don't already have a VB6 CD, you may have a hard time getting your hands on one)
2. A lot of built-in binding mechanisms
3. Its currently supported and will continue to be enhanced by Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back