Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a View act as fact table( urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkmibinm

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I am doing assessment of a present data warehouse.
I am shocked to see the design.
1. Logical data model and physical data model not in sync.
2. no keys between facts and dimension ie no star join.
3. No validation in ETL.
4. No exception handling in SQL procedures.
5. Views acts as fact tables.

Can we say this as datawarehouse.

I have seen in one the dotcom organisation, they call their collection of all their internet data which is ofcourse was on one location as their data warehouse, so I think you might not be surprised to see that in other organisatios too. However that becomes a subject of debate.

Since your datawarehouse is not comprehensible for a consistent reporting requirments with no validation for business rules, it might not be treated on par with "Enterprise Data warehouse" or Data mart.

teccum

A view is a virtual table and thus is acceptable as a fact table. That is, of course, if the users are satisfied with the performance.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Well:

1: as to a logical and a phusical Model being out of Sync. That happens quite often. It depends on how far outof sync they are if it really is a problem.
It may be that understanding the datawarehouse and its attributes becomes difficult, with the risc that you are using the wrong attributes for a query, and thus come to a wrong conclusion.

2: together with 3: make it impossible to ensure that you have a consistent set of data, which IMO is a key feature of a Datawarehouse.
When you start querying this database, the results may cause your organisation to puke and perhaps even to die.
Star joins are not a nesccessity of a datawarehouse.

4: This makes sure that every exception you encounter will stop the ETL proces. This in turn will make it hard to have your information being on-time. (Which is another important aspect of a DWH)
5: Conceptually, it does not matter if you implement a fact table as a view. I have seen this before, and usually, the users start complaning about performance after a while. But having a view as a fact table is sometimes valid. And most certainly if it is a aggregation of another fact table.

hi

What is Flat file, actually in which formati it is means. is it word format or any other format.

@Sureshvangala. I do not really understand your question in this thread.

What are you referring to when you say the physical and lodigal model are not in sync?
Be specific!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back