Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a user change their passwd while away from our network? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhoury

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2003
US
Hello all,

Is it possible for a user to be able to change their password while away on travel from our network? The user has just called me frantic telling me the password is due to expire in 3 days and they wont be back in for another week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!,
Sam

normally a password change is validated by the PDC emulator....

i have NO idea...

Aftertaf

"Resolve is never stronger than the night before it was never weaker

oohh boy. I guess she isnt going to like that answer. In the future, a VPN can help with this situation, cant it?

Can we have some more info Skhoury?

Is the user connect remotely via RAS to the network?

If so changing p/w should not be a problem.

Pls advise

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

Chris,

No she isnt connect remotly to our network at all. The most she has is internet access, nor does she have admin rights on her pc. Still out of luck...or is there a possible work around?

Thanks..

Sounds like you are out of luck...

If there is no connection to the network whilst away from office can't the user just logon locally for now and then once back you can sort out/reset AD account?

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

If you're using Outlook Web Access you user(s) can change their passwords from there. As a work around for my employees that went offsite, I either made their passwords never expire until they returned to the mother ship, or I assigned them a temporary password and forced them to change it when they returned.

El Patrick of Not
Punk at heart, Sys Admin by trade
(Finally lost It)

Chris - That idea would work if they had a local account on the box :(...

And ElPat, your idea would work only if OWA was accessed via https right...otherwise it blocks the change password page doesnt it? Although its a good idea to lock the accounts while on travel.

There's no need to freak out. Even if they dont get back for 7 days and it expires, the next they log in and put their password, it will just say that it has expired and you are forced to change it then. Its not going to toally lock it out like you would see when too many bad password attempts are made and it locks you out. If they were so scared, why didn't they just change it right then???

That's correct, you need SSL up and working on your (I believe) web and exchange server. We had some problems with the initial setup, but had them resolved with some minor tweaking.

El Patrick of Not
Punk at heart, Sys Admin by trade
(Finally lost It)

Leoingle - So she is telling me that it is giving her 3 days to change it. If she changes it right now, it will accept the new password and allow her right into the PC? Man I hope your right!

El - we're workin on the SSL part. :)

SKHOURY,

We have 300 external users with unchangeable passwords but once or twice we have had the embarassing occasion to have to recall the Laptop because of this.
Don't think you can do anything except give her a local account and password if you have one on the Laptop. Need to talk to the PDC/DC if you want to validate the password change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back