Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a table be used as a filter on a form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystuff

Programmer
Apr 30, 2004
US
Hi,

Can a table (or query) be used as a filter on a form? The record source of my form has a Product ID. I have another table that also has a product ID. I would like to use the Product IDs in this second table as a filter to my form.

I know I could join the 2nd table in the record source, but for various reasons, I don't want to do that.

I want to filter the records based on the values in the 2nd table.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Not sure why you need two tables to do what you want. Create a combobox without the wizard. On the Rowsource of the combobox place:

SELECT DISTINCT [ProductID] FROM FirstTable ORDER BY [ProductID] WHERE [ProductID] is not null;

Then on the AfterUpdate event place:
Private Sub comboboxname_AfterUpdate()
Dim R As DAO.Recordset
Dim SQLText
Dim holda As Integer
SQLText = "Select * From [FirstTable] Where [ProductID] = " & Me![ComboboxName]
Forms![YourFormName].RecordSource = SQLText
Me![comboboxname] = Null
End Sub

Assuming:
TableA = source for the form
TableB = filter table

You could create a query as the data source for your form that is something like:
Code:
SELECT * FROM TableA WHERE ProductID IN (SELECT DISTINCT ProductID FROM TableB)

Since your pulling the same ProductID's, why go to the second table? It's slick, but redundant.

I've inferred from the OP's original post that TableB has a subset of ProductID's that are found in TableA. For example, maybe TableA is a products table and TableB is an order details table, and he is trying to get a list of products that have been oredered at least once.

I don't understand why a simple JOIN couldn't be used instead, but this is what he asked for. :)

Isn't it funny how different people see the same sentence different ways? I thought that TableA had a subset of TableB! Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back