Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a T1 tie to a remote be checked for errors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fataldata

Technical User
Nov 14, 2007
US
I know in LD 60 you can "lcnt" but it only shows statistics for my Trunks. I had an XPE go down momentarily several times yesterday. Initially my maint provider was looking towards a hardware issue, until the circuit dropped while they were on site. If there was a way to measure errors on a T1 connecting the XPE that would have helped to isolate the issue.

P.S. what is the circuit tie to a remote called? I'm used to referring to them as fiber links on the red side.

It has been a while since I serviced one of these, but the DS1 circuit should have an NIU at the MPOE where Telco hands off the DS1 to you, usually an 8 position modular jack(RJ48C or X) or a punch block, depending how the DS1 was ordered and installed. The NIU should have monitor jacks on it where you can monitor the circuit with DS1 test equipment like a T-Berd test set. Also in the XPE and the host PBX, the DTI module should have monitor jacks, if I recall correctly. So you can check for errors, timing, level, etc. including loopback for complete testing and isolation of the problem. If you have a set of NTPs for the system, you can find a lot of info in the System Installation & Maintenance Guide. Back in the Meridian days it consisted of two binders. You might want to inspect your DS1 cable and wiring between the XPE and NIU on the remote end, and between the PBX and NIU on the host end for damage or bad terminations. The PBX itself has a maintenance history file that can be displayed. You might want to review it for any clues to hardware problems or what is happening and the frequency.

Since the PBX is digital, connecting circuits to a remote XPE are digital, known as a DS1, or T1 circuit. Same type used to connect two PBXs together when using DTI or PRI modules.

Hope this helps!
....JIM....

How is a T-1 connecting an XPE? The XPE is a controller card. Is this possibly a Mini Carrer remote or Carrier remote?

KCFLHRC, Referring to is as an XPE is likely my lack of familiarity with the terminology, it is a carrier remote connected via copper to the main, I apologize for the confusion.

Thank you it is the DTI module that I have been directed to for this. I do know how to check DS1 level circuits for errors with a T-Berd but unfortunately I don't have one at this assignment so I was looking for something in the PBX.

In the end this issue was resolved by identifying bad pairs on the carriers network.

Thank you KCFLHRC.
I was wrong again, it was the MMI not DTI that I was told would provide some insight into T1 errors.

I added a test phone on call manager and added cdp entry for it and it worked. Do you know what the max of entries I can have for cdp? Well, I know you can set the number on MXSC, but is there a limit? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back