Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can a newbie setup exchange server or should i hire someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmec

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
hi,

i do basic IT consulting but i have never setup an exchange server and am not sure which to install?

Please note: My client...
- will use Owa and use their pda/phone for checking email
- do not use calenders or contacts and or don't share them
- only 10 or less users
- the server will be in an unmanned location. no one physcially there in case the server needs to be rebooted and so on.

So my questions are
1. is setting up and monitoring/managing an exchange server worth it for 10 or less users

1a. what if the server is in an unmanned location. of course i can setup remote host but of course if their is some problem and down time with the server my client wont be able to get email.

2. if i do have to setup exchange should i just hire someone who has experience or is there a crash course on setting up exchange server?

2a. if i do it what version do you recommend?
2003, 2000, 5.5

3. Is there alternatives to exchange server? I have found a few alternatives but have no clue if one is better than the other? Either a software that works on the server like online or maybe a web based alternative like

If you don't care about domain naming (suchas@yourcompany.com) you can go with a free email like Gmail or Yahoomail. There is no point in setting up Exchange server if all you need is a few pop3 email.

Set up Exchange if your company communicates with tons and tons of attachments (.doc, .xls, .ppt, .pdf, .rtf.. etc.) and they live on email and the phones simply function as the company intercom.

Go with the alternatives you've listed. Exchange server is simply NOT a "set and forget" server. If something happens, you'll need to get your hands wet physically, while the company goes back to the Stone Age, and users start going home.

Sorry to scare you like that, but if you have no experience with the email server, a simple DNS issue will put your server on a queue up frenzy. Take a good look at this forum and you'll see it's a full time job to manage an Exchange Server.

Then again, I like people who dare to get their hands wet. That's how we learn. If you are brave, I advise you to build a test server and start messing with it first. You will determine if it's worth it or not.

Good luck.

We run the ipswitch server for ISP and an Exchange server for our Office Email, and I would recommend Imail by Ipswitch over Exchange any day. It is way easier to use and it is considerably cheaper. Imail has Web access and some calendar features, including the ability to send and receive invitations to events.

Good luck.

Having a server in an unmanned location is diffucult. Backups have to be taken and tapes rotated (unless you can impliment this remotely). Why doees the server have to be in an unmanned location?

Anyway the cost (including comms) and upkeep of an exchange server is not worth the hassle for 10 users just to check e-mail. I would go with an on-line alternative where you pay a subscription and managment is not a worry.

ask your ISP to host your e.mail, more than likely they'll have a webmail based solution and have that e.mail forwarded to the phone/pda's built-in e.mail address.

This will probably be the best and cheapest way to accomplish all your points.

Setting it up and getting it working isn't too difficult. First time I set one up I had no idea what I was doing, and we got mail going in and out . . .

The problem as far as I can see is more that you won't have access to the machine. In my experience an exchange server doesn't need much attention, but if it does, and you are hours /days away, it's quickly going to lose the trust of the users.

That'll be the same for anything you install, so I'd say you're better off getting someone to maintain it / an ISP to host ail, simply becuase they'll be quicker if and when it falls over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back