Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can a full XP Pro CD upgrade XP home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder757

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
US
I bought a lap top a few months ago that shipped with XP Home.

I'd like to upgrade to XP Pro. However I'd rather buy the XP full install rather than the XP Pro upgrade simply because my laptop didn't ship with the discs to reinstall the OS should it ever become corrupted.

ANyway to make a long stoy short if I buy the full XP Pro, rather than the upgrade will it upgrade my XP Home without a harddrive reformat.

I should note that OEM versions of XP Pro will not provide an upgrade otion, only the Retail version of XP Pro will offer this. See my notes: faq779-4004

Thanks guys.

Bcastner you hit the nail on the head. I was shopping on line when I noticed an OEM copy that stated it couldn't upgrade Home Edition which is was prompted my question.

I recomend that you do a clean install (after backing up) whichever version you buy. I tried this exact upgrade and had all kinds of problems and eventually ended up doing a clean install anyway.

Spyder,
Just so there's no confusion, here are 3 main options:

1) XP Pro retail full
2) XP Pro retail upgrade
3) XP Pro OEM full

You can still do a clean install with the XP pro retail upgrade as you could with the full retail version. There's essentially no difference with the exception that the upgrade will require proof of a previous version of Windows during the clean install. But yeah, stay away from OEM if you want the "upgrade" to be an option.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Laptop computers may require specialized hardware drivers not found in the conventional "retail, upgrade" version of Windows XP.

It might be worthwhile to check with Toshiba about this and also the possibility of a true replacement XP CD for your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back