Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can´t open Com3

Status
Not open for further replies.

martindenmark

Technical User
Dec 31, 2004
DK
Hi. I have a Sony Vaio laptop QR-10 with Win ME, and after hdd crash I have installed the defaults. The Modem is not working but I can se that it is on com3. When I try to dial it looks as if it is dialing, but it is not, cause there is no contact with com3, which I have testet by running diagnostics. I have also tried to remove the modem completely from the computer i order to let the plug & play function install it again, but the plug & play function can´t find the modem also because it can not connect to com3.

Please help me.

So you ran diagnostics and it errored out, correct?

In Device Manager, any question marks or conflicts?

Did you load a driver set, or did the OS find it automatically?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Yes when running diagnostics it says that it can´t open com port. It is a virutal port. The computer does not have a physical com3 port so it is created by the modem driver. There are no conflicts in device manager. The modem is not initially installed with plug & play, but it was installed with the recovery cd that came with the computer so the driver should be the right one. I can´t seem to make any changes in the port settings, not in bios nor in WinMe. In Addition the modem does not show in device manager - only in control panel where it says that the modem is working properly.

Virtual or not, it should respond to diagnostics. That, coupled with the fact that it doesn't list in Device Manager, tell me its not installed right, or there is a possible hardware problem. Did you perform a system recover recently? Have you checked CMOS setup to make sure the modem isn't disabled? By the way, I'm assuming this is an integrated modem?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi Matt.

It is an integrated modem. I can not find any modem settings in CMOS.

And yes I have performed a recent system recover. The problem with that is, that it installs the modem on com3, but the computer can´t open that port.

If I try to install the modem without plug & play, I can´t assign the modem to any ports. It is as if the OS does not recognize any ports. They don´t show in device manager.

I have just tried to install two virtual ports and have set the modem up for one of them. The error message told me that there was a problem with the port-interrupts. Still there are no conflicts showing in device manager.

Thank you for your time so far.

I hope you can help me.

/Martin

Hi again.

I have just found out, that when I try to remove the software for the modem in add/remove programs. It tells me that it can´t because the modem is busy. I don´t quite understand that?

/Martin

Double check CMOS, make sure it isn't under some other name, such as pci communications device, or some other name. I was going to look up info on sony vaio's support site, but I can't find that model number.

There's something not right here. It doesn't show in device manager, so Windows DOES NOT see the device. The recovery cd puts back the software whether the device is there or not. It won't respond to diagnostics, and it obviously won't respond to the uninstaller, because the OS does not see it.

We can't do anything until it shows in device manager. If it has a question or exclamation mark, then we can troubleshoot its setup in Windows, but if its not
there, then its disabled in CMOS, or its likely a hardware failure. You can try to rerun the system recovery, but I doubt that will help.

Matt J.

I have tried to find the model number too, but it does not show on their support page. I can look for updates if I enter the serial number of the computer but the updates do not help the problem. On the back of the computer however there is another model number which does not get me any further though: (PCG-721C).

I have managed to make the modem appear in device manager by installing virtual ports com1 and com2. After this I have installed the modem on one of those, but when I run diagnotics however I am told that the interrupts for the port is not set up corectly.

I am suspecting that I can not enter all the settings in CMOS, cause I can´t find anything that comes even close to port-, modem- or communication-settings.

I have also tried to remove the modem physically from the computer and run a new system recover, but it still installs the software and Win considers the modem to be working without its actual pressence in the computer.

Finally I thought that since the modem was busy when I tried to remove the software for it, then I´d remove anything that could be using the modem for other things(fax etc.). This did not help either.

/Martin

nexidneb@msn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back