Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can´t login remotely. Error Not in system console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edimator

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
VE
Hi,

I just connect a unix server in my Lan. I already configure the Ip address correctly. But went I try to login into system remotely trought a telnet connection (using a PC or another unix server), the unix server return an error "Not on system console", and logout inmediately.

Some one can help me to figure out where is the problem.

Regards,

Edimator

do NOT login as 'root' - use another user.

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |
+----------------------------+

Are you trying to login as root? Most Unix systems do not by default allow direct remote login of root. Instead, you have to login as someone else and do an su - root to become root or you have to be on the console. There are ways to change this behavior, but it depends on the flavor of Unix you are using.

Thanks,

I configured another user, and actually I can connect to the server.

Regards,

Edimator

You can rename the /etc/securetty file to something else (e.g .old ext), then your problem will go away.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Oops, my comment above based on if you are running Linux that is.

Also, it is a security based issue, don't do it if you run the risk of being accessable to crackers.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back