Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calls forwarded don't show an ID and voicemail question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony2018

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2008
US
When someone forwards there calls to there cell the numbers don't show it just says unknown caller or something of the sort, is there a way to get it to show?

Also my office closes at 5pm and voicemail kicks in. A secretary stays back lates sometimes and would like to let the phones ring until she leaves. I can't find any documentation on how to bypass the weekday schedule can you guys help with that?

sounds like she has the closed greeting set up which by default kicks in at 5:00. I would set up the alternate for after hours and let her forward it to voice mail when she leaves.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate helpful posts........

yes close greeting is setup. I can just set it to where she can do it herself but I'm not sure if they will remember to or not.

does anybody have an answer for why forwarded calls don't show caller id or number?

The telco does 2 things
1) If you are blocking your caller id it will block all the numbers coming from your company including numbers that were sent to you but when the phone forwards the call the number that came into you is now the calling party so telco will block that number because telco thinks thats your number and they are blocking it like you want them too.

2) If you are not blocking your number (sending out 1 number or indivdual call id) when you recieve a call from a blocked number the phone places the call but there is no called from number telco will either leave it blank so it will say unknown caller or (depending on the telco) insert your billing number so it looks like someone from the office is calling.

What you can do is create a translation rule that when a call is being placed from a blank or unknown number you want to translate it to 89 or whatever number you choose that way everyone will know that they are getting a forwarded call.

from what you said its happening to every call so I would think that number 1 is your issue. If you need further help let me know.

Does the CID show your company # if you just dial your cell phone?

We have one wierd situation, if you call a regular at&t phone (not a blackberry) it shows up unknown. but if I forward my ext to that phone, it pushes the number calling me. also if I call my blackberry from my office phone it shows my ext calling.

IPPhone -> Nokia = unknown caller

IPPhone -> BB = shows number

Nokia -> IPPhone CFwd to BB = Shows Nokia #

BB -> IPPhone CFwd to Nokia = shows BB #

Never really bothered people after awhile, so I just left it alone because I was banging my head against the wall trying to fix it...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

As for the voicemail part, you would be better off leaving it going to voicemail at 5pm due to the off chance of someone forgetting to forward the mainline to voicemail, we are all human after all.

Another option;

Since we use DID's I gave our receptionist her own DID # so that she can recieve personal calls just for her on that and still answer the mainline and know which is which. That way the mainline still goes to voicemail from 5pm - 8am and if she works late, she can still be gotten ahold of on that 2nd line so long as they know what it is... You can also push the operator button to her personal line...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

DallasBPF yes it shows the office number when someone forwards the call to the extension. If someone called the DID number then it shows up as unknown number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back