Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calls cut off with recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl8ton

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
I am having intermittent issues with a Merlin phone system I have installed in one of my offices. I actually believe the problem is on the LEC side, but they insist its not. Occasionally, someone will be on a connected call that suddenly gets disconnected - followed by a canned recording that states something like "the business number you have reached is temporarily disconnected". There's no pattern to this, and its getting pretty annoying to trace down. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?
I think the phone lines in use there also might have centrex programming, if it makes any difference. I'm stumped.

Carla

The recording is LEC generated I'm not 100% sure it is the proper one for the situation at hand. Now for a few questions:

1) Which Merlin system is being used? (Classic, Merlin II, Legend, Magix)?
2) Does this happen on only 1 line?
3) Does the problem happen on incoming, outgoing or both calls?
4) Can the problem be duplicated using single line telephones?

The system is a Merlin Legend. I haven't been able to narrow down whether or not this is one particular phone line with this issue. It happens very infrequently and unexpectedly.
The last time it happened, the user had dialed in to a conferencing service, and they were quite a long while into the conference call when it happened. It also happened to me one time, when I dialed into the office to talk to someone about it, and mid-conversation we were cut off.
Unfortunately, I am in Illinois - they are in Ohio.. and there are no single line sets in use or in stock at that location.
Could this maybe be isolated to one particular phone line you think?

If you haven't already done so...relabel all the trunks so they are unique...e.g. ABC-801, ABC-802 etc. I believe it to be a LEC problem also since there is nothing in a Legend/Magix that can generate this recording...but we all know that LEC's never have a problem. On most LEC's there is a trailer recording number at the end that might identify the recording but this one may just hangup and if it does it will be harder to identify. As far as relabeling the trunks go..this will help since the trunk name usually shows up on the display on the phone calling out or receiving the call. Depending on the release of software you are running you may have to hit the MORE or the right triangle button(TDL's) to see the info. At least this will help narrow it down if it is actually one trunk causing the problem. lg

Thanks for the tip. I will see if we can put something like that into place. Great idea.

Carla

One other idea would be, using SMDR output to identify both incoming and outgoing calls for troubleshooting purposes. This would provide you with a call record with the important data: line/trunk used, number called, time of day, and station of record, etc.

Sending SMDR to a computer, it can be stored to disk and saved for future needs, etc.

....JIM....

And, to add to the above, if you use SMDR, there are little hidden identifiers in calls that were disconnected on the PHONE COMPANY SIDE as opposed to the LEGEND Side.

Yes, SMDR would be a great place to start.

Of course, some of us have other more robust tools, but the are not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back