Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calls Answered > Calls Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmscho02

Technical User
Jan 14, 2011
US
How can Calls Answered be more than Calls Offered?

The Application Performance report shows 855 calls offered and 855 calls answered.

The Skillset Performance report shows 856 calls answered.

Unfortunately I just do reporting and was told to use these 2 reports to get the data. I don't fully understand the difference between the application and skillset. I'm just confused (as is most everyone here) why the Calls Answered is more than Calls Offered.

Thanks!

This is just a thought, a theory you may have to test out: What happens if an agent gets a call then transfers it to another agent?

Right - do you have any other applications that can receive calls for this skillset? Or is this a default skillset?

We have a couple dozen applications and skillsets. This particular app/skillset map 1-to-1 to each other, though there are 5 total applications/skillsets that this same "desk" handles. Does that make sense?

You don't mention the timeframe covered in the report, but it would be possible for a call to be offered in a skillset in one interval and be answered in the next, as calls queue up.

Another good point. I am pulling data for a single day, from the "d" tables. The call center is only open from 6a-6p though, and I'm only looking at daily totals, so that is why I don't think it is an interval issue as such.

I think this is an apples and oranges comparison..... application and skillset are different so realistically they may not equal each other.

As stated above, it would appear that in the scripts "somewhere" there is a queue to skillset statement, but there would be a 2nd queue statement, possibly determined by waiting time that then allows for the queueing to the "856 calls" skillset. Hence the extra call.

You can understand the difference between the 2 if you know how calls were handled. First, the call is being sent to a CDN (basically this is the customer hotline number). Then the call is being sent to the application, technically this is the script. Inside the script you define the skillset. How can Calls Answered be more than Calls Offered? This is because of the 15-minute interval. For example I place a call at 8:59 and it was answered at 9:01. If I generate a report from 9:00 to 9:15, I will get 1 answered and zero offered. But If I generate a report from 8:45 to 9:00, I will get 1 offered and zero answered.

mlgmartin:
- I'm pulling daily data, not interval data. And the desk isn't open at midnight which is the only time this calls offered/answered can cross the daily reports.

DFKSydney:
- I understand what you're saying, but do you know where "somewhere" is? Any idea where I might look in the database?

The "somewhere" is down to legwork..... check your scripts.

Make sure there is no other application/script linking to that skillset.

See what number of calls show answered in agent by skillset, and agent by performance. Maybe by interval to try to narrow down a time frame.

Another approach, though tedious, is to look through call-by-call reports for each hour. Count the skillset answered for the skillset in each hour and for the day. See what total you get for the day. You can use search to speed it up, searching for the skillset name and the answered line. Looking for differences in the records.

I was able to narrow down to the specific skillset and interval. I didn't try looking at individual agents, but I'm not sure how that would help me. In the end I still need to know where Nortel stores the numbers that show what happened to that extra call that was answered. Was it transfered in/out, or did some other action occur? Shouldn't that number be stored somewhere in Nortel?

The call-by-call data is configured to only be stored for 3 days, so that data is no longer available. Hopefully that isn't where I needed to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back