Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CallRecording

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormierjimmy

Technical User
Aug 19, 2009
CA
What is the best/Cheaper call recording system

I need one working with BCM/Unistim

Thank you

Jimmy Cormier
Quebec City, Canada
Sorry, I’m french !
20xBCM/SRG,CS1000,7xIP Office,4xVmpro,
3x contactstore,Call Manager,AES,Nice Recording,Callsweet,IEX Totalview,Symposium,Callpilot,Kofax,

I have been using equipment from Digital Loggers, Inc. (DLI)
I had 3 of their standalone 4-channel MIL-4000 units ($2000) for quite a while and just replaced them with a $995 16-channel USB logger that I'm still in the process of setting up and calibrating, but it works great. You need the logger, an "octopus" (breakout) cable, and a PC to run it on with USB 2.0. I put mirrored RAID drives in the PC while I was at it so if one takes a dump I have a spare. This thing can record from the handset cord, analog phone lines, and a variety of other audio sources. I have been happy with the company and their support.

The above is a separate system for this purpose. There are also varied recording options in some of the newer PBX and voicemail systems these days.

We use IP Phones.... sorry it wont work for me

Thank you

Jimmy Cormier
Quebec City, Canada
Sorry, I’m french !
20xBCM/SRG,CS1000,7xIP Office,4xVmpro,
3x contactstore,Call Manager,AES,Nice Recording,Callsweet,IEX Totalview,Symposium,Callpilot,Kofax,

We use splitters on the handset cords - that works with any phone as far as I know. I can't connect anything directly to my digital ports either. Radios and scanners we hook right into the speaker terminals, and 600 ohm sources will hook up directly. Unless you want to use something specific to your PBX - like with Avaya's voicemail system there are ways to make that do live recording, or buy some kind of IP-based system that can somehow redirect or clone the call stream to the recorder there might not be a whole lot of options.

I worked with a couple different systems while I worked for a Mitel reseller a while back. Telrex made a fairly low cost solution that was able to sniff the calls out over the network via the use of port mirroring on your network switch. It seems like I remember that being about $300 per seat for a permanent license. The other system I remember was called Oaisys, which recorded calls from the trunk side. You usually pay for that based off of how many T1 channels you have. The Oaisys install I did was for their Sip trunk Beta product at the time. The main difference between trunk side recording and station side recording is when the recording starts. Trunk side recording starts the moment the call hits the telephone line (more expensive also) where station side recording starts recording once someone on your end picks up the phone. There is an open source platform that will also sniff SIP based phone calls but I cannot think of the name right now off the top of my head.

I agree with the DLI solution that donb01 suggested, we use two of the MLI-4000Ns for 6 handsets/headsets and 2 backup POTS lines. We had a Nortel MICS and recently upgraded to Polycom IP phones on a Cudatel server. Tapping the handset connection has worked great in both cases.

We also looked at Algo when we still had the Norstar, but the cost was higher than the DLI. I believe they also support the BCM though.

MiaRec ( supports recording calls with Nortel UNISTIM protocol.
The recording is done on a network side (packet sniffing). You only need to configure a port mirroring on a network switch. No any additional equipment is necessary (except the server for running the recording software itself).
Pricing is available on their web-site (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back