Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callpilot no longer sending out text (email) for new voice messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

michont

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2006
US
Hi all,

We have CP ver 5 running and for years now, we've had text messages (configured as emails)for those of us on call in IT sent out whenever
a new message was left in somebody's on call mailbox. Up till a couple weeks ago, it was fine but for some reason when a message
is left, it will still call the person but no text is received. Our cell phones are on AT&T so I thought maybe they did something to the
way text messages are defined but I tested the same address we use in CP via outlook and I received the text immediately.

We've had no updates to the CP server or patches to the software in a long time so that can't be it. I checked logs in Windows and
CP and can't find anything that would tell me an error. Our smtp server has not changed on our network either so not sure why
it's not relaying anything anymore. Has anyone run into this type of behavior and what I could check to see? Maybe a service
or something stopped?

You could look at the volume D:\Nortel\smtp on the CP server and see if there is anything queued in the outgoing folder. You might just need to restart the CP server.
30n30w

I was thinking of restarting but was hoping for other options before attempting that. :)

When checking on that, I can see the date modified is updated when a text apparently is generated.
So, it appears that a message is being generated and sent to go out and then clears but why it
does not reach me is another issue.

If that's the case, then maybe they are queued up on the smtp server side? it appears that they are going out of Callpilot correctly, so they are getting stopped or lost on the (probably Exchange) smtp server side....
30n30w

Thanks. I have emailed my exchange admin on this and hoping for a reply soon.

Still no luck. It seems just email to phone which is set up as number@txt.att.net is not getting through. I also tried mms.att.net and that didn't work. Either of these configurations work when sending from outlook to my phone. Email is also working from call pilot when emailing my work email address so SMTP is working on it. I asked my exchange person and they see nothing waiting to send which makes sense since I can email (text) to my phone through it. Very strange to me. Makes me wonder if it's an AT&T issue. Working with them would take a lifetime so I guess for now I'm out of luck. Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm having the same issue: CallPilot text notification via email to AT&T cell phones used to work, but has stopped working in the past year. I asked our Lotus Notes administrator about this and his reply was:

As far as SMS message not getting to your cellphone, AT&T's SMS gateway is rejecting messages because there is no public MX record for xxxxxx.com domain. Is there a default email address you can specify in Callpilot? I can give you an xxxxxx.com email address. Which should fix this issue.
Note: "XXXXX" was my company name, but I don't won't that published.

So - I'm not sure where you'd set a default email address in Callpilot - I don't recall seeing anything like that.
This appears to be an issue lately as if AT&T has recently changed the rules.

Thanks, Terry.

Thanks for the update, Terry. Figured it had to be on the AT&T end. Not sure why they'd change the rules now. Our callpilot
server is not part of AD here so is not picking up the domain info (my guess) which coincides with your experience and why
exchange is able to relay the email to text notification.

ATT doing reverse lookups and you will need an mx record on dns for them to verify you are a valid domain user for them to allow. Part of policing SMS marketing spam filtering.

@1998xj8 thanks for the note. As I mentioned, my guess is though call pilot uses the smtp server here, it is not picking up the info which AT&T needs to do this. I have just set it up so that it goes to my email account I use on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back