Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CallPilot Call Recording 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick61C

Technical User
Jan 7, 2005
US
Simple on demand call recording using call pilot.

Be sure to look up call recording laws in your state. I have no idea if this will hold up in court or if its even legal! Therefore in my case I have only used this internally as a form of record keeping for myself. This could however be implemented as a corporate policy. Let all employee's know that they may be recorded at any time....

System Specs:
Nortel Option 61C, Succession 3.0
Call Pilot 4.0

System Configuration

Step 1: Build a new “Mailbox Class Of Service” in Call Pilot. Increase the Maximum Storage limit to 60 minutes. Increase the “Max. Composed Message Length” as well as the “Max, Call Answered Message length” to a desired value. I set mine to 3600, and 3599 seconds respectively. Leave all the other settings to their default values.

Step 2: Build a new mailbox (i.e. ext.1000) and assign it to the new “Class Of Service” created above. I used an ambiguous extension that is not associated with a Telephone Set. I then configured the MWI (message waiting indication) to light my personal message light on my set. This way “as an administrator” I will know the instant a recording is over and I can take any action that is necessary.

Step 3: Build an ACDN that is the same number as the mailbox built in step 2 in LD 23(i.e. ext.1000) that is NCFW (Night Call Forward) to *voicemail*.

***voicemail* is the special “Service Directory Number (SDN)” that I created for my ACD groups. This was specially created to fix a “bug” I encountered during the call pilot installation and our ACD's with NCFW. I believe you can find this in a Nortel document but I don’t remember where. Had something to do with call tagging and the CDN, opposed to a SDN.**

Step 4: On the users phone program a “CH_D” key (No Hold Conference; Hot Line Direct). Configure the key with the appropriate number of digits, and for the digits dialed enter the Mailbox/ACDN/Extension number… (i.e. number of dialed digits: 04; dialed digits: ext.1000)

Step 5: Once everything above is completed log into Call Pilot from a phone and log into the extension as if you were checking your messages. Setup and external greeting that consists of 1-3 seconds of “dead air”.

AND YOUR DONE………….

OK, now lets walk though a call:
My phone rings and its a customer. I decide that this call should be recorded for my records later. I reach down and hit my CH_D key (labeled record for the user). There is about a 2 second delay were the CH_D BLF (busy lamp) blinks and both the customer and I receive an audible tone across the line. From this point on the call is being recorded to Ext. 1000’s Voicemail box in Call Pilot. (By the way Ext.1000 is from the example in the steps above.)

OK, so lets now walk though how this is actually working through the phone system and call pilot step by step:
The second that I hit the CH_D (record) key several things happen at once. This key is a NO-HOLD CONF, which means that I’m conferencing in another extension without putting the call on hold. The other piece that the key is doing is a Hot Line Direct to extension 1000. Extension 1000 is an ACDN in LD 23 that is NCFW to voicemail. This tosses the call directly to voicemail. The two seconds of delay where the BFL blinks is actually the mailbox’s greeting which was setup in step 5 above. The audible tone that comes across the line is the “leave your message after the beep, *BEEP*”. Once the call is completed and everyone is off the line the message is in ext. 1000’s mailbox waiting for retrieval.

And there you have it. On demand call recording using Call Pilot.

As an addition to this I configured a CSD key (Conference Selectable Display) to the phone so that I can record portions of a call without interrupting the call. For instance, my boss and I are on a call with a customer and we want to make sure we get all the information. I can hit my CH_D record key to record the portion of the call when the customer is on with us. When the customer hangs up I can hit my CSD and drop Call Pilot off of the call. Then 3 hours later when we forgot what the customer said we can retrieve the message out of ext 1000 and listen to the call again.

Feel free to make any suggestions to the steps above.

I make no guarantee this will work due to specific software package limitations and technical knowhow, however its working great for me!

There is an alternative setup that I also devised that doesn’t include ACD’s (for the less Knowledgeable phone administrator.) This alternative setup *could* possible work with other voice mail systems as well.

Step 1: Configure a phone, either analog or digital, and permanently forward it to voice mail. * I would also suggest making this extension a non-DID unreachable from the outside world. *
Step 2: Configure the mailbox for the phone. As suggested in the original increase the message times to an appropriate value.
Step 3: Configure the mailbox’s greeting as “dead air”
Step 4: Configure the CH_D key with the dialed digits as the new phone configured in step 1.

Now when the CH_D key is hit during a call the set No-Hold Conferences in the phone in step 1 which is forwarded to voice mail. When the call is completed the MWI will light up on the phone in step 1…..

Cool huh…

Thanks,our Security Dept. was just asking me if we could do something like this set up for prank calls....

Mick61C..only one hang up i see.its not a state law being
broken it fcc when you hit your button you get a audible tone
beeps well it is a fcc law to let everybody know when a call
is or will be recorded.other then that it looks great.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

Yeah, Like I stated above every state is different. Washington is an ALL PARTY state so everybody needs to know. However, in a Corporate Environment it can be included as a policy.

For example, at my work we have a policy that everything that goes on inside the doors is company property (stated in more words and more elegantly). So theoretically a recorded conversation between employees would be company property.

Or if you are surfing the web, they have the right to capture that activity.. and so on.

You also need to check.

If you are NOT going to use the recordings for any legal proceedings OR any contractual obligations. I don't think you need to inform of the recording.

If someone is going to be terminated, sued, arrested or held liable for something they agree to on the phone, then they have to be informed of the recording.

John

Have a Star !

Wolfi

has anyone other than MIK61C had any luck with this. When I try to use the CH_D key it never answers. What am I missing?

Andy Ramirez
NNCSS BCM 3.0

What thaaa????

Aramirez148,
This was a semi complex setup. Try the second option were you just forward a unused phone into CallPilot. Then configure your CH_D key to dial that phone instead.

IF that works: The ACD setup was not done correctly.

On all my ACD queues I could not get CallPilot to pickup when I NCFW to our CDN. I had to configure another DN as a Voice Messageing DN in the Special Directory Numbers. Thats the DN you want to NCFW to, not the CDN!

There may also be some Key_code stuff for ACD you might need.

Just some of my thoughts

Thanks for the reply MIK61C

i was able to get it to work by piecing together this thread with another thread. What i did was create an SDN with the ACDN of my CallPilot agents as a voice messaging service then my new ACDN was NCFW to that SDN service. This works great! Kudos to you for sharing this!!

Andy Ramirez
NNCSS BCM 3.0

What thaaa????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back