Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CallPilot - Block users from deleting voice mail messages using command "76" 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlw312

Technical User
Feb 20, 2013
US
Hello, I need to block the entire office from deleting voicemail messages in their individual mailboxes. Does anyone know how I can deny the ability for individuals pressing 76 to delete? thank you!

You did not mention which Callpilot and/or version.

In 100/150 you cannot achieve this.

I cannot understand why you would want this function, your hard drive would pile up with messages and crash then take you forever to delete them later.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you for your response. We have a 24 port CallPilot 5.0, with more than 300 mailboxes. I know the messages will pile up, but the powers are requesting this at this time. I appreciate all of your information, thank you.

No you cannot stop users from deleting mesages. You can block the mailboxes from recieving any messages but that would make the system pretty useless. I don't see why you would want to do this anyway?????

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

Get off wlw312's back his management wants this to happen he is only asking if it is possible to do so.

I thank you all. Right now in my office there is a need to save all communications and I was asked to block all VM deletions. I didn't think it was possible to blocked end users from pressing 76 to delete, but I had to make sure. technology happens...

bdmcdonald99 is not on anyones back!
bdmcdonald99 is only asking why somebody would want it, he probably missed the "but the powers are requesting this at this time" comment or had the window open for hours and did not see the reply as I do often.
bdmcdonald99 also was constructive in his post and answered/verified the question.

Time to time people (lately execs it seems) do/will ask the most ridiculous questions or act like a communist with their system, we will simply respond/ask accordingly "why".

Kapeesh?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

You might want to look at the User Archive feature. This will allow you to backup mailbox messages to a network drive on a daily basis. Then messages can be restored by user mailbox or date as required.
It doesn't stop a user from pressing 76 but it gives you an alternative to killing mailboxes when they become too full - or killing the CallPilot entirely.
Start by searching in the CallPilot Manager help for "User (mailbox) archives".

I have never done this and have been unable to find a way to do it, but maybe there is someone out there who might know ..... can anyone give details on how to change the digits used for all the message commands? My thought is, if this can be changed, to make it #* or 789 678 or something instead of 76 then users would not be able to delete messages (for a while anyway until someone figures it out)
The backup method is a good idea, but does not cover the the messages that come in and are listened to and deleted quickly.

If you really want this you could always contact Avaya, for a price they can write a patch but the only way your going to get rid of the mesages is delete the mailbox and re-create

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Thank you all. This is a serious issue in my office, and we will have to figure someway to resolving this, I will suggest advices that were suggested to me, and again, thank you.

If you were to turn on the system wide messaging archive Messaging->Messaging Management> and check the box next to system wide message archive, you could achieve what you are looking for.

You'll need to provide an email address to send all the messages to, but this will provide a copy of every message the system receives from every mailbox. I archive to an exchange mailbox that I set up specifically for this purpose. vmarchive@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx - I keep 1 week live in the mailbox, and the last 30 days in an exchange archive file; plus I still have my backups if I need to go back further than that. You can search for user name, mailbox number, time, date, whatever...

The messages are compact in Nortel's proprietary .vbk format, however you will need storage capacity on your email server to accommodate the number and size of the messages. My 30 day file runs about 2-5 gig worth of space...
We crank through somewhere between 400-900 voicemails a day in rough numbers....

Good Luck,
30n30w

This is good information. Thank you for responding!

Your users will still be able to delete messages from their mailbox, but you will have a copy in the archive. This will also alleviate the issue of storage on the callpilot system, since users will still be deleting messages. Your storage problem moves to your email server....
Your company management will need to decide the legal/ethical/acceptable use for the archived information, and who will have access to it. Use this information that I've provided at your own risk... :)
(if you're really, really creative; you can use that archive file to create a modified form of desktop messaging, ie converting voicemail to .wav files and sending it to users email so they can have it on the go...
It's a bit complicated, but once the bugs are worked out...users don't know how they ever lived without it! But that is a whole other thread / offline conversation..)

30n30w

Thank's for the support Curly, but I have a thick skin after 38 years in this crazy business and I tend to say what I think. I think that 30n30w has a great Idea there to archive messages and then if users delete them, no big deal.
And finally my thought for the day, "Link is the answer, but we don't know what the question is!"
TDM rules

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back