Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling Stored Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunk

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
AU
I have a quite complex block of code containing nested selects , case statements , aggregrate functions etc etc.
This particular block of code has a very high reusabilty factor and I am therefore planning to use it in a routine I can call from any stored procedure requiring it.

At first I planned to use a view...but views do not accpet use of the case statement.

I have since created a stored procedure and have successfully called it from another procedure. The problem is, I don't know how to access the result set of the called procedure , in the caling procedure.
I inserted the resultset of the called procedure into a temporary table, but the calling procedure is falling over when I reference this table.
Thanks

Maybe the structure of temp table and sproc result set don't match... if they do, INSERT INTO #temptable EXEC mystoredproc should work.

Create temp table in the main procedure with ## (Global) and try it out.

BTW Views can use the case statement - one of mine :
Code:
CREATE VIEW VW_PROD_BITS
AS
SELECT REF,
HS_PLUMB_BIT = CASE WHEN HS_PLUMB=0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END,
HS_ELEC_BIT = CASE WHEN HS_ELEC=0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END,
HS_HAP_BIT = CASE WHEN HS_HAP=0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END,
HS_GAS_BIT = CASE WHEN HS_GAS=0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END,
HS_PEST_BIT = CASE WHEN HS_PEST=0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END
FROM  MYTABLE
WHERE MYTABLE.INCOME > 0

[bandito] [blue]DBomrrsm[/blue] [bandito]

Several options
You can do a simple select of the final result in your first SP and then insert it into a temp table at the start of your second sp.

You could create a user defined function. That can be called directly in a select statement.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Thankyou all who posted a response.

I managed to get the 'Insert into tmp_table exec sproc option' and the use of a global table up and running.

I will run with the global table because with the 'insert into' option a temp table has to be created with all data types matching the resultset of the called proc. (unless there is an easy way to do this)

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back