Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling into PBX externally and then making LD calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikiturtle

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
CA
Hey there - I was searching through the forum - but could not find anything surrounding this.

I want to call from my home phone into our company PBX - then make an LD call outbound...

I dont think that anyone on this forum will give you that advice. It sounds like a hack attempt to me

I don't mean it to be a hack - I can do it via CFXA (but then the user would have to goto his desk each time to program a new number) but the (user) the president would like to pick up his phone - and make a call via the company PBX

That's almost funny. How about we reset passwords on our way thru the pbx.

Mato' Was'aka

I am not intending this to be something thats malicious - if it's frowned upon to give advice here like this...I'll accept that -

Like I said, no one here with any brains will publicly tell you or anyone how to hack a switch, period. Tell your president that it wont be done..... end of story!

That's all I needed to hear friend - thanks for your help.

If you have VOIP abilities, just set him up with a softphone on his Laptop(if he has one) then have him VPN into your network from home and use his softphone. sounds like he is just being cheap and does not want to pay the LD charges on his dime. just an opinion. I did the same thing for our President.

Thanks - very much - I wish we had VoIP capabilities..

typical Senior Management. that's why these guys r loaded, their bills r being paid by someone else.

like everyone else here, i would never give out that info, tell him to use his company cell phone. i'm sure he's not paying for that either.

on a side note, softphones are a good solution!!

There are ways to do this of course and if he insists you continue to look and if you decide to go ahead with it, make sure you use STRONG passwords for your own peace of mind! Telling him you are opening the switch up to major fraud should change his mind.

From the Features & Services NTP:
"Direct Inward System Access (DISA) allows selected users to access the system from the public or private network by dialing a special Directory Number (DN) assigned by the customer. The number can be dialed from any Digitone telephone outside the network."

BUT as noted in other responses, you can open yourself up to toll fraud / hacking if this is not implemented correctly.

You say that "the president would like to pick up his phone - and make a call via the company PBX".

Do you mean that he wants to be able to do this from his home? Or do you mean that he wants to be able to do this from any phone anywhere?

If the former then perhaps an OPX (Off Premise eXchange) would be a viable option. Though this incurs additional charges it is more secure than using DISA and you can get CDR for the calls.

If the latter then DISA would be the most efficient, and most open to abuse, option.

He probably heard from some muck-a-muck from another company who claims to be able to save money on his home phone bills that way. Using the company phone system he could claim "business expense" much more easily.

Regards,
Harry
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

You can allow thru dialing once the user logs into their own voice mail box. This can be controlled on a user by user basis. Make sure to explain that anyone with their password can do this also. We did it to our own switch until LD became so cheap and free on our cell phones. Another option if he is wanting to do this from his house is MCK extenders and place a digital set in his home.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

Thru dialing is an option, true, but it also invites abuse by hackers/phreaks. It's a harder to do than cracking DISA but it has been done.

I'd not heard of an MCK extender but, now that I've read a bit about them, it seems a bit more versatile than OPX. But, again, that means additional costs to implement it.

Regards,
Harry
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

I use DISA with a password and so far "knock on wood" no one has hacked me that way in 19 years. However i have been hit via voice mail back in 95 for the tune of 30k over a weekend.

we have been using disa ld 24 for a couple of decades and no abuse so far and no cost to set up. disa password can be 8 digits so hacking requires 100 million attempts. you would see these calls on cdr and know of the abuse.
Direct Inward System Access (DISA) allows selected users to access the
system from the public or private network by dialing a special Directory
Number (DN) assigned by the customer. The number can be dialed from any
Digitone telephone outside the network. Once the Direct Inward System
Access (DISA) call has been answered, the user can access any of the
following features and capabilities offered through Direct Inward System
Access:
• Calls to any station within the customer group
• Trunk calls (such as calls to a Public Exchange/Central Office, a TIE
trunk, or paging and dictation trunks)
• Basic/Network Authorization Code (BAUT/NAUT)
Page 154 of 1168 Direct Inward System Access
553-3001-306 Standard 14.00 August 2005
• Call Detail Recording (CDR) and Call Detail Recording Charge
Account, and
• Basic/Network Alternate Route Selection (BARS/NARS) and
Automatic Number Identification (ANI) route selection.
Each special Directory Number (DN) dialed by a DISA user is associated
with a particular DISA Directory Number. Any number of DISA DNs can be
assigned, provided that they are consistent with the numbering plan of the
customer. Access rights are determined by the Class of Service and Trunk
Group Access Restrictions (TGAR) associated with the DISA number. Calls
to DISA can be placed on dedicated, auto-terminate incoming trunks (Central
Office [CO], Foreign Exchange [FX], or Wide Area Telephone Service
[WATS]) and TIE or Direct Inward Dialing (DID) trunks, all of which must
have proper supervision.
As a safeguard against unauthorized use, an authorization code or special
security code of one to eight digits can be assigned for each DISA DN. The
security code must be entered before any system resources can be used.
Additionally, a secure data password can be provided to enable the customer
to create, modify, or remove information concerning DISA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back