Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling from phone log adds digits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jraykc

MIS
Dec 21, 2007
US
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with calling from the phone log. What seems to be different from the other posts I've read about this problem is that we have 10-digit-dialing in our area. Here's the specifics:

The metro area consists of 2 different area codes, 816 & 913.
We are in the 913 area code.
To call someone in the 816 area code, we don't have to dial a '1' because it is a local call. So we would dial 9+816+xxx-xxxx.
To call someone in the 913 area code, it doesn't matter if you dial the 913 or not.

Now the problem:
When we try to use the call log to dial a caller that called from the 913 area code, a '9' and a '1' get added to the number. So it dials 9+1+913+xxx-xxxx. It does not do this to 816 numbers.

Question:
How do I stop the '1' from being added to 913 numbers when using the call log but still have it add the '1' to long distance numbers in the call log? And why doesn't it add the digits to 816 number?

We have an S8730 with CM 5 and 9630 & 9620 IP phones.

Here's the 46xxsettings info:

############# ENHANCED LOCAL DIALING RULES ###############
##
## These settings affect certain dialing behaviors, such as
## dialing numbers from the incoming Call Log or from web
## pages
##
## Dialing Algorithm Status
## Controls whether algorithm defined by parameters in
## this section is used during certain dialing behaviors.
## 0 disables algorithm.
## 1 enables algorithm, but not for Contacts
## 2 enables algorithm, including Contacts (96xx SIP only)
## SET ENHDIALSTAT 1
##
## Country Code
## For United States the value is '1'
## SET PHNCC 1
##
## Internal extension number length
## If your extension is 12345, your dial plan length is 5.
## On 46xx phones, the maximum extension length is 10.
## On 96xx phones, the maximum extension length is 13.
## This value must match the extension length set on your
## call server.
## SET PHNDPLENGTH 5
##
## International access code
## For the United States, the value is 011.
## SET PHNIC 011
##
## Long distance access code
## SET PHNLD 1
##
## National telephone number Length
## For example, 800-555-1111 has a length of 10.
## SET PHNLDLENGTH 10
##
## Outside line access code
## The number you press to make an outside call.
## SET PHNOL 9

Thanks for your help.

Create a routing plan that would delete the 1 from the area code. If you're using PRI, you can suppress a dialed 1 digit by using prefix mark 4.

[tt]
change route-pattern 2 Page 1 of 3
Pattern Number: 2 Pattern Name: LD Home Area
SCCAN? n Secure SIP? n
Grp FRL NPA Pfx Hop Toll No. Inserted DCS/ IXC
No Mrk Lmt List Del Digits QSIG
Dgts Intw
1: 17 2 4 n user
2: n user
3: n user
4: n user
5: n user
6: n user

[/tt]

If you're not using PRI, just have the route plan delete a 1 when someone dials 1913

[tt]
change route-pattern 2 Page 1 of 3
Pattern Number: 2 Pattern Name: LD Home Area
SCCAN? n Secure SIP? n
Grp FRL NPA Pfx Hop Toll No. Inserted DCS/ IXC
No Mrk Lmt List Del Digits QSIG
Dgts Intw
1: 17 2 1 n user
2: n user
3: n user
4: n user
5: n user
6: n user

[/tt]

Be sure to have a route plan that won't modify the dialed number if someone DOESN'T include the 1, and point all the 913 (no 1) traffic to that.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

Thanks dufus, but didn't work.
I think the problem is that there is an area on the edge of the 913 that is long distance, so the switch is setup to allow a '1' to be dialed for those calls.

I'm not well versed in the routing area yet, so I hope I'm giving the right info. I appreciate the help though.

If there's any phone exchanges that are not local, you should should create a special routing plan for those.

You'd add them as:

change ars analysis 1913555
change ars analysis 1913556
etc
etc

ARS matches the route plan to the dialed number based on the best match. If you enter a destination more completely (as above) it will match that to any number dialed as 1913555 before it will match it to the pattern 1913.

You should consult your local services vendor to find out which area-code/exchanges are local, and which may need to be called by long distance. A recently published phone directory may have this information in the front pages.

Thanks again dufus.
I called my vendor and they tell me they can't give me the info because it's 'proprietary info'. What service, huh?

I'll give the phone book idea a try.

Appreciate your help.

Take a look at thread690-1569481.

Susan
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you criticize them, you are a mile away ...
and you have their shoes.”

SF.
I've already played with the websites in the post but unfortunately, there's no easy way to get a list of the few prefixes in our area codes that are long distance. At least no way I could find.
Thanks anyhow.

Another thing you might check is to see if you need to dial 7 or 10 digits within your area code. Some may not allow you to dial all 10.

Click here:

Enter your area codes, and check the lower right hand side of the box. It will tell you if it expects 7 or 10 digits when dialed within an area code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back