Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling Crystal Reports from Clipper app 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EncinoMan

Programmer
Jun 23, 2006
US
Currently, my Clipper S87 app builds and prints a report line-by-line. I would like to replace that DOS-style printing by calling a pre-designed Crystal Reports report, pass data to it, automatically print it via Windows XP (no print dialog box), close CR and return to my DOS app - all without any additional user intervention. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks!

Hi EnicoMan!

Do not know what is Crystal report (looked on the link but didn't find anything). However there are many solutions how to print from dos based apps to any window driver. One of them is DosPrn program. This is a little application which intercepts dos printer calls and converts them so that output can be accepted and printed on any windows priter. Look at download and test it. If it will suit you, you can download also PDFCREATOR from Dosprn license is somewhat 9-14 $ depending on how many licenses you are buying, pdfcreator is freeware. Yust test it, there is no need to change source code of clipper application, all reports written in clipper will be printed on WIN printer or PDF file if you direct Dosprn output to PDFCREATOR printer.

Have fun!

Yes, it is possible to create a call to an external program, using the RUN command. The Crystal report would have to be able to be executed as a stand alone app. When the Crystal report has finished running run the calling program will pick up at the next line after the run command.
You can create Crystal reports an excutable program, I haven't but I know it's possible. I prefer to create my own Clipper reports some of which are external and are called from within the Clipper app.

Jim C.

I do this ALL of the time - since Crystal 5 / since Windows 95. I wrote a VB application which uses the API to load a report, specify tables, print orientation - all 100% transparent to the user. I create an INI file via Clipper loaded with all of this stuff. I then call the app and let windows do the rest.

This little app has evolved to handle bothe dBase and Access files - and pivot tables / pivot charts.

So yes - it is doable. I have not every sold this application, or even marketed this application. But I have a lot of hours in it so I'm afraid I cannot give it away.

Should I look into pricing, or did I give you enough to get started?

IntentDriven, that's what I'm looking for - 100% transparency. I'm not knowledgeable enough to write an app to do this, so, yes, I would be interested in hearing about yours. Thank you.

EncinoMan, I've just realized that I cannot send my email to you via Tek-Tips. I hope you can find my website (intentdriven).

EncinoMan:

A clipper programmer in the SFV. I'm located in tarzana.
If you have a chance call me at 310-477-3924. Any experience in converting to 32 bit. I use Fivewin 1.92 for windows. My app has been in the market for 16 years. Still doing well see
Call if you have a chance.

Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back