Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calling an executable from a web app fails (framework 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuadDubby

Programmer
Sep 23, 1999
CA
Hello

I have a web app that calls an executable and then shows the results on the web page. All was working well until I upgraded to VS 2005 and framework 2, and besides the fact that I went through a bit of a nightmare converting the project, calling the EXE no longer works now.

The return code from my command process is 3, but I somehow don't think the EXE is sending that back (I'm still looking for info on it, though). I have a strong feeling it's config related.

I've ensured that the ASPNET and the internet default accont have execution rights to the right folders, and that the exeucte permission within IIS says "scripts and executables".

Any ideas as to what other changes I should be looking into?

Thx,
.DaviD.

MSDN says:

"ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND 3 The system cannot find the path specified."

1. Are you sure the path exist, the executable is there and that you've set the appropriate permissions?
2. Can you post some code as well as the full path (including the file name and extension) of what you're trying to execute? Is the file located on a mapped drive?
3. Is there any other way you can achieve what you need without executing that particular software? There are many drawbacks to this approach (for example: the thread that serves the request and which is also executing that process is blocked until the execution finishes; this means that under heavy load the thread pool will fill up quickly with requests waiting for the specified process to end and new requests will wait for a free thread in the pool or worse, will be dropped by the kernel filter driver), not to mention it is not an elegant approach.

Please give detailed answers for each and every question, maybe we can help.

Hi Boogie

Thx for the quick answer. I will not have acces to my code until Monday, but will investigate the issue of the paths as soon as I get into the office. I find it kind of wierd that the paths (or the code referencing them) would change, but you never know.

As for posting the code - I'll try that on Monday as well.

Finally, I really don't have much of a choice. The EXE I'm using produces a chart that I need to display on the web app, and there is no DLL that does the job (we do not have the source code).

Also, I had looked around for possible values for that return code and could not find any. Could you tell me where you found it?

.DaviD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back